Thread: Hello

Hello

I was a bit puzzled, having just come back to this site after many months and having to request new passwords and not even knowing my user name! It turns out that I must have registered, then not come back on to post ANYTHING!

Don't know why but anyway here goes;

Some of you may know me as "Rancid Badger" a nick name picked up during my early military service-(long story)-and a faff to type if I'm honest. So I decided on something that means something to me and is much quicker to type.

I've been "into" what is now known as "bushcraft" for about 50 years or since I was about 4 years old. We lived on a council estate in North East England which was adjacent to open farmland, hedges, ponds, woodlands, building sites, colliery waste land-basically just think of a slightly cleaner, slightlybetter off version of "Billy Casper" and his environs and you've just about got my childhood.

I make stuff from metal, leather, wood, actually more or less anything.

I have a particular fondness for open fires! and the science and technology that go with them

That's it for now

watch out for a few posts giving an idea of what I do coming up soon.

Cheers

Steve

Hello Steve and welcome (back).

M@
    "If you were to ask me what I consider to be my finest achievement, I could answer the question without hesitation: teaching." ~ Raymond Blanc.

Welcome Steve and look forward to seeing your posts

I wondered where you'd gone! Welcome back. I'm sure you've lots of info and advice to share! you still canoeing as well?
    If there are no women around and a man says something, is he still wrong?

Quote Originally Posted by Thumbcrusher View Post
    I wondered where you'd gone! Welcome back. I'm sure you've lots of info and advice to share! you still canoeing as well?
    Sadly, I gave up canoeing earlier this year. I finally had a boat in the Mad River Reflection 15, that was superb on the water, almost light enough to be easily managed off the water and looked fantastic but I only used it twice in 2014 and to have that sort of money tied up on a rack in the back garden doing nothing was too much to justify.

My good mate Brian (seen in the 2nd clip below) was moved onto another crew at work, so we couldn't get out paddling together and there really was no one else I felt comfortable paddling with, so........

The final straw was making the choice between taking out a loan for a new boiler or selling the boat to cover it=- Bye bye Beautiful boat! I miss it, terribly sometimes:

Really happy days!

Quote Originally Posted by SAC7602 View Post
    Sadly, I gave up canoeing earlier this year. I finally had a boat in the Mad River Reflection 15, that was superb on the water, almost light enough to be easily managed off the water and looked fantastic but I only used it twice in 2014 and to have that sort of money tied up on a rack in the back garden doing nothing was too much to justify.

My good mate Brian (seen in the 2nd clip below) was moved onto another crew at work, so we couldn't get out paddling together and there really was no one else I felt comfortable paddling with, so........

The final straw was making the choice between taking out a loan for a new boiler or selling the boat to cover it=- Bye bye Beautiful boat! I miss it, terribly sometimes:

Really happy days!
    Sorry to hear that mate especially as im in a similar situation. bought a new solo apache with all the toys. Used it once then hurt my back really badly and haven't paddled since. so i'm looking to sell it reluctantly as like you i cant justify having paid a small fortune for it just to be in the rafters of the garage all the time!
    If there are no women around and a man says something, is he still wrong?