Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Be careful in them there sheds!!

Be careful in them there sheds!!

I haven't posted for a while for various reasons, so with my first post for some time I thought I'd pass on some hard learned and sage advice! Now that the weather is turning and the nights are drawing in, it's natural that folk will be turning to projects in the shed to pass the winter evenings. Please be careful , good people of bush craft land! Follow all the safety rules and use best practice!

I didn't follow the rules, I didn't follow best practice and I was somewhat cavalier in my attitude. As a result, I lopped 1/4 of an inch off the end of my thumb with a circular saw. Stay safe and don't be stupid like me, folks!

I hope that you are now on the mend. Best wishes,

M@
    "If you were to ask me what I consider to be my finest achievement, I could answer the question without hesitation: teaching." ~ Raymond Blanc.

Natural Born Bushcrafter saxonaxe's Avatar
    Ouch! Bad news....and it also means those nice gloves your Mrs had lined up as a Christmas present for you won't fit...

Good advice and I hope the injury heals quickly.

Samuel Hearne
    Ouch I would not want to do that again, I did something similar about 2 years ago but only cut the tip of my thumb off and it took a couple of weeks to heal properly.
    Hope your thumb has healed and you can still use it without pain.

No problem, nobody is letting my ten thumbs near any power tools :-)
    Besides there is not even electricity out there, and to cold to do anything usefull in winter.
    It is allso filled with the famillies bicycles, and all the other summer stuff. All that is left now is to bring the
    everything that runs on batteries inside for the winter...
    Last edited by FishyFolk; 15-11-2015 at 08:59 PM.
    Victory awaits the one, that has everything in order - luck we call it
    Defeat is an absolute consequense for the one that have neglected to do the necessary preparations - bad luck we call it
    (Roald Amundsen)

Bumbling Bushcraft on Youtube
    Nordisk Bushcraft - The Nordic bushcraft blog and forum

I'll also add...
    Be very mindful of CO (Carbon Monoxide) poisoning in enclosed spaces, such as sheds and garages/man-caves, if using natural lighting or a heat source such as a wood stove. When it's cold outside, you can easily forget to have the door or window slightly open to allow airflow. But, better to have a chill breeze than be buried in the cold ground.

Beermaker: Hope you're recovering well....glad only a 1/4 inch was sheared-off. I've heard horror stories of guys who cut their knuckle tendons and lost multiple fingers from such accidents.
    My blog, New England Bushcraft

"Give me six hours to chop down a tree, and I will spend the first four sharpening the axe."
    ~ Abraham Lincoln

"Be prepared, not scared."
    ~ Cody Lundin

I'm recovering well, thanks. Just hope others bear my stupidity in mind when they use machinery and cutting tools. A case of familiarity breeding contempt. Good point about CO, it's easily overlooked and deadly. When I get my new shed built with the forge moved indoors, a CO alarm will definitely be going in!!

Hope you heal fast mate, when your able to hold a pint again give us a shout, I think we're overdue

Wish you all the best in your recovery and may it be a speedy one, beermaker!

Ouchie!
    "Travel a thousand miles by train and you are a brute;
    pedal five hundred on a bicycle and you remain basically a bourgeois;
    paddle a hundred in a canoe and you are already a child of nature."