Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Looking for Iron Pyrites

One with Nature
    "Always remember, no matter where you go there you are."
    hello,
    Bump..
    I was with my stone kicker friend last week the stone it's been identified as (drum roll please..) green calcite. It was identified & matched against a smaller nodule of green calcite & a nodule of blue calcite additional details provided by a student of the scientific study of rocks called petrology, which is an essential component of geology.. Whilst I was chatting I traded (non monetary) & received some nodules of rose quartz, green quartz, smoky quartz, & raw honey calcite tried & tested all shew sparks.
    Regards
    David

It's that iron that keeps me busy. This area of the southwest is formed by a big plate of iron and when drilled through for water the iron dissolves and has to be removed for safe levels of consumption. Never get any significant pieces though as the drilling process turns it to dust but get plenty of the pure sedimentary form after it has gone through our treatment plants.

One with Nature
    hello Jus,
    I live on the Central belt of Scotland the area was once famous for it's iron works & coal fields long gone. I was lucky to find a nodule some years ago along a fresh water spring in amongst the pebbles where I set up my Basha for the night. I've collected & been sent agates & rocks from around the world since posting this thread & yet to find a nodule of actual iron pyrites (dinosaur blood). I shall plod on..
    Regards
    David

Post Rock on Rock fire ignition.

Y'all may find these links to be beneficial in regards to stone on stone fire ignition.

Article showing three sets he made stone on stone fire with.
    http://wildwoodsurvival.com/survival...bww/index.html

The most helpful article I have found on flint and pyrite fire as well as char mixes. Interestingly it refers to the same book in the link above that I had been studying.
    http://www.primitiveways.com/marcasi...d%20flint.html

Vid of flint and marcasite on uncharred mugwort.
    http://www.primitiveways.com/Fire-by...mpression.html

One with Nature
    hello,
    Thanks for the awesome links DuxDawg. I like the flint incorporated into the wood striker used with Marcasite. I was chatting to Lye Choon Keong at Sepuh Crafts not long ago about the use of the fire piston & various tinder's. Sepuh Crafts make awesome fire pistons. I have a small list of possible agates/stones that shew sparks I've given it to a friend of mine who is a "stone kicker" said I've to get back to her in a few weeks as she is trying to resource some of my list, everything apart from iron pyrites (dinosaur blood).
    Regards
    David

Okay guys here are a couple of bits of info for you I have put in a link to Geology of Britain viewer of the British Geological survey, if you ope the viewer you are basically looking for the bedrocks parts and you are looking for Oolites, sandstones or Haematite, Ironstone etc. when you see the lexicons after clicking on the colour or link it has info on the area and the names of rocks and places they are found in so are the best locations for finding the rocks. For Iron Pryites you are basically looking around igneous intrusions especially around Batholiths so for that one of the best areas is the south west round that mining area and parts of the NW and scotland etc, but can found around a lot of places. I hope it this helps.

Geological Viewer

Here is a link to one of the oolite series in the lexicons it also gives you general areas.

but if you look at the viewer in detail and zoom in you can see the areas a lot clearer.

One with Nature
    hello,
    TinkyPete thanks for the link. I live on the Central Belt of Scotland famous for iron ore & coalfields once the major industry of these areas now long gone. I've found a piece of Iron Pyrites aka Iron stone (Dinosaur blood) as per my original post sometime ago. I'm finding everything bar what I'm looking for. Clydebank towards Glasgow there have been finds of Jasper that shews sparks. Obsidians both dull green blue & clear glass like black have been found in some of the mining areas. There's a scattering of Diorite I've found. I've recently come across a few large boulders of red Granite on some property, I'll have to ask who it belongs to first before I begin to harvest such. I'll trade or find a piece sooner or later.
    Regards
    David

Quote Originally Posted by TinkyPete View Post
    Okay guys here are a couple of bits of info for you I have put in a link to Geology of Britain viewer of the British Geological survey..

No problems David,

I know a lot of people have been asking about it and this is not the first forum where people have put this or a similar thread. With the geological map it helps no matter where you are as the topsoil and bedrocks vary so much in the the UK we have more geology in the UK on our surface than most other countries because how we have been effected and by geological actrivity and geogrpahy and weathering.

With the Geological maps it can show what is any area in the UK and the geology under our feet will effect terrain and also what plants will grow where and can help as an aid to knowing what will grow and what you can find where for example Ramsons like moist soils in slighlty acidic conditions, so do not go looking for them in limstone heavy areas, or red sandstone which is good draining which what I have near me.

One with Nature
    hello TinkyPete,

Regards
    David

One with Nature
    hello,
    Bump.. I've got more chance of finding Lord Lucan than Iron Pyrites (Iron stone Dragon's blood) at this rate. Bushcrafter I was chatting to sometime back about where to resource such got in touch, no luck doesn't have any, just same details & location of finds, I've been there.. Palestine's.
    Regards
    David