Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Looking for Iron Pyrites

One with Nature
    "Always remember, no matter where you go there you are."
    hello,
    I received a piece of Hematite which is a mineral, coloured brown to reddish brown from the USofA. I traded with a BCUSA forum member for a huge nodule. I'm well stoked as it throws off sparks which I used in conjunction with a small piece of amadou as tinder. Still looking for UK Iron Pyrites.
    Regards
    David

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Hematite.jpg 
Views:	182 
Size:	77.8 KB 
ID:	13543

I have some Iron Pyrites (Marcasite?) David, but it doesn't look much like that stone though, far more metallic in appearance. I'll post a photo for comparison a bit later. Happy to lend a bit if it is what you are looking for

One with Nature
    hello Greenbear,
    Thanks for the reply very much appreciated. The Marcasite I would have to see the image, I think sounds more alike to 'fools gold'. I'm more looking for the type known as Dragon or Dinosaur blood. I would be interested if it throws sparks no harm in looking.
    Regards
    David

Quote Originally Posted by Greenbear View Post
    I have some Iron Pyrites (Marcasite?) David, but it doesn't look much like that stone though, far more metallic in appearance. I'll post a photo for comparison a bit later. Happy to lend a bit if it is what you are looking for

Yes it is a type of "fool's gold" and looks that way, crystalline yellow metal chippings clumped together (almost like iron slag). I'll sort out a pic for you so you can get a better idea Happy to mail a bit over to for you to try - just pm me if you'd like that.

One with Nature
    hello,
    Greenbear that would be very much appreciated.
    Regards
    David

Yes it is a type of "fool's gold" and looks that way, crystalline yellow metal chippings clumped together (almost like iron slag). I'll sort out a pic for you so you can get a better idea Happy to mail a bit over to for you to try - just pm me if you'd like that.

Quote Originally Posted by David_JAFO View Post
    hello,
    Greenbear that would be very much appreciated.
    Regards
    David
    Hi David, please pm me your address and I will get it over to you

One with Nature
    hello,
    Greenbear please check your PMs.
    Regards
    David

Hi David, please pm me your address and I will get it over to you

On its way David - pm sent

One with Nature
    hello,
    Keeping this thread alive.. what a day I've had. Firstly.. I received a nodule of iron pyrites (fools gold) from 'Greenbear' today exactly what I was looking for just the right size for the FSK pouch & friction fire demo. I'm now informed by 'Woody' that a 2nd package is on route.. what can I say? I shall look forward to this 'Woody' & 'Greenbear' what a pair of guys. I was over at a trade in Glasgow with a couple of girlie's today. I received some nodules of agates, there's one in particular we'll have to try identify. I'm unsure what it is I've seen it before but can't quite find it's name? So.. a good day for both giving & receiving. Once again Bushcraft kudos to both 'Woody' & 'Greenbear'.
    Regards
    David

Name:	Iron Pyrites.jpg 
Views:	155 
Size:	81.8 KB 
ID:	13580

Last edited by David_JAFO; 02-04-2016 at 01:24 PM. Reason: edited details

One with Nature
    hello,
    BUMP..
    I posted a similar link on BCUSA forum. I was trading this lunchtime with some girlies in Glasgow whom I arranged to meet for lunch & trade. I picked up a few agates for the fire starter kit (FSK). Got me some Scots grey coloured diorite & proper red granite nodules, *variations of iron pyrites (fools gold) nodules then arriving home as said I received a nodule today from NBCUK forum member 'Greenbear' the variation nodules are totally different from the nodule received from Greenbear. I received variations of quartz nodules including rose coloured quartz. Within the trade more of a GAW this green agate I've still to identify. It looks quite like flint/chert but has a green colour, heavy in weight. I haven't tried to see if it shews sparks as yet? I don't want to damage it as I might put it up on the trade blanket later. We weren't sure what it was. I thought (probably way off track) looked like green moss agate? So I'm well chuffed with both todays trade & the iron pyrites my friend Greenbear sent me. All agates I traded today shew sparks in conjunction with steel striker & flint nodules.
    Regards
    David

Name:	Image 1.jpg 
Views:	156 
Size:	87.5 KB 
ID:	13579