Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: Looking for Iron Pyrites

One with Nature
    "Always remember, no matter where you go there you are."

Looking for Iron Pyrites

hello,
    I was chatting to a BCUSA member on the subject of Iron Pyrites offline. I was very lucky sometime ago to find a small pebble sized piece of iron pyrites near to where I decided to Basha up & used such with a shard of flint to light my fire. I scoured the nearby area including sifting through the pebbles near to the spring I collected my water from to no avail. I found a YouTube link Ray Mears uses the very same method in fire lighting only with a larger nodule. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GaHNWaBmNJU I haven't found any iron pyrites or as Ray Mears description of such as dinosaur or dragons blood. Does any NBCUK forum member know where I could obtain a piece of this red coloured stone for my fire kit?
    Regards
    David

Samuel Hearne
    David if I get to go to one of my old haunts I will pick you up some but I don't know when that will be.

Hobo
    Is it a common stone? Where are likely places to find it.?

One with Nature
    hello,
    ian c that would be very much appreciated, only if it's the same specimen type as per the Ray Mears link & not iron pyrites (fools gold) that I can resource. Iron-ere or as it is called iron-stone (to distinguish it from iron-pyitea) generally its brown-red, or russet hue. In the meantime I'm still open to where I could obtain a piece of this red coloured stone for my fire kit.
    troyka I found this link of interest https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ironstone
    Regards
    David

Quote Originally Posted by ian c View Post
    David if I get to go to one of my old haunts I will pick you up some but I don't know when that will be.
    Last edited by David_JAFO; 14-11-2015 at 02:41 PM.

Hobo
    Thanks for the info.

One with Nature
    hello,
    Your
    Regards
    David

Quote Originally Posted by troyka View Post
    Thanks for the info.

One with Nature
    hello,
    Still looking..
    Regards
    David

Samuel Hearne
    David I still have not been to where I used to find it but will let you know I get some.

One with Nature
    hello,
    ian c just keeping the thread alive
    Regards
    David

Quote Originally Posted by ian c View Post
    David I still have not been to where I used to find it but will let you know I get some.

One with Nature
    hello,
    Still looking for alternatives agates that can create sparks from flint or alternatively a steel striker. I was informed Jasper can be found around the Campsie Fells Clydebank which is just outside Glasgow not far from here. A friend of mine she had a small shard of Jasper intended for jewellery making, which she gave me in return for a coffee & sticky bun other day. Throws off small sparks when struck with steel striker & flint, ignited a small piece of Amadou for the demo. Iron-ere or as it is called iron-stone a Bushcrafter from South of the Border (not ian c BTW) got in touch said he had a resource for iron-stone but nothing so far.. no time wasters
    Regards
    David