Thread: Carving spoons is an addiction!

Carving spoons is an addiction!

I thought I'd share some pictures of my creations after endless hours of mind-freeing, soul-relieving carving!

For me, it's now starting to become more than just creating a perfectly symmetrical utensil etc. and more about the tree itself. I've started to carve with the grain and have a few in the pipeline now that are more bendy/curved, encompassing the tree's natural shape, pictures of those will come shortly!

These few are a couple from the early days and two from fairly recently all carved with a Gransfor Bruks Wildlife Hatchet, a Frost 106 and a Ben Orford small spoon knife.

One spoon on here was sparked from an amalgamation of a member on this forum and his leaf spoon and a Viking style spoon I'd seen that was crafted at Spoonfest.

Feedback would be welcomed!

All the best in your endeavours.
    Last edited by steelezac; 13-11-2015 at 11:00 AM.

Lovely spoons.

I also enjoy a bit of spoonmaking when I have time. Nearly finished a Kuksa last week and found that it has started to split. Might be able to fix it, but if not I will just put it down to experience and start again.

Thanks for sharing.

Thanks Chubbs!

Oh damn, it's a pain when that happens! I had made a Kuksa once but my sister soon took it for herself! Maybe it's time to start another, now you've mentioned it!

I hope your next round with the famous cup is more productive providing you can't salvage it, of course!

Thanks for commenting!

Do you head out and find specific wood for making these, or can it simply be done through picking up a bag of logs from BnQ etc? I currently have access to little more than twigs and sticks from places like Clapham Common, it would be nice to have something a little larger to try some carving on.

Hi hl9213o

Personally, I collect my wood on walks out and about with my trusty Laplander.

Having not seen B&Qs logs, I wouldn't like to advise but I will say greenwood is much easier to carve and I wouldn't think their logs are freshly cut.

Sounds bizarre but if you're a beginner and want to hone your skills, use soap and a small knife.

Other than that, a train or bus ride out to the sticks with a rucksack is your best bet!

If you ever want any help, just drop me a message and I will be glad to do my bit!

Hey Steelezac

I've no idea on the state of shop bought wood. It is probably as you say. My only experience with firewood has been a delivered fresh affair. The landlord just delivered a new batch of logs, so I'm going to have a look see in a bit.

Thanks for the help. You might get a message from me one day, but I'm generally a little unconventional and just experiment till I work out what I like. Tends to cost a bit more though ha.

Nice work there.
    “I'm not one of those complicated, mixed-up cats. I'm not looking for the secret to life.... I just go on from day to day, taking what comes.” ~Frank Sinatra~

" Nessmuk " says:
    " We do not go to the woods to rough it ; we go to
    smooth it — we get it rough enough in town. But
    let us live the simple, natural life in the woods, and

Cheers bikebum1975. Got a couple I'm working on and been asked to make a walnut cigar ashtray so I'll show you guys that when its ready, just waiting on dimensions