Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Looking for help from a knife maker

  1. #1

    Looking for help from a knife maker

    Hello,

    I'm a minimalist and was looking for a knife that would be my EDC, but also a good bushcraft knife. Essentialy one knife to fill all my needs.

    I love my mora, but it just isn't a practical EDC.
    So I thought I'd cut down a mora classic 3 blade to work like a Svord Peasant Mini. I think it's a good solution for me.
    The problem I'm having, is I don't have the right tools. I don't have a grinder or drill press. My dremil isn't cutting it and the steel is way to hard. I've broken two drill bits designed for hardend steel.

    So I'm looking for a knife maker with the tools and willingness to help me finish this project.
    Happy to pay for shipping and time.

    Picture attached showing my progress.

    Cheers,

    -Jon

    Last edited by Romanista77; 11-11-2015 at 03:46 AM.

  2. #2
    Woodsman Pootle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Kernow
    Posts
    512
    Just out of curiosity, why not use the svord you have, or have you borrowed it to copy?

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by Pootle View Post
    Just out of curiosity, why not use the svord you have, or have you borrowed it to copy?
    Because I really like the blade/grind on the mora.
    I want to get the best of both worlds.

    I might try reprofilling the blade on the Svord to be single bevel if I can't make this work.

  4. #4
    Woodsman Pootle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Kernow
    Posts
    512
    Quote Originally Posted by Romanista77 View Post
    Because I really like the blade/grind on the mora.
    fair enough.
    maybe the mora blade needs annealing to make it workable? Then re hardening?
    just guessing as i'm not a knife maker!

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by Pootle View Post
    fair enough.
    maybe the mora blade needs annealing to make it workable? Then re hardening?
    just guessing as i'm not a knife maker!
    I'm not a knife maker either. But I think it would be much easier with the right tools. Like a grinder.

    You might be right for drilling the wholes though. I broke two cobalt drill bits trying.

  6. #6
    Natural Born Bushcrafter saxonaxe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Sussex coast
    Posts
    867
    Just a suggestion, but is there a small engineering firm in your area? They don't need to be knifemakers, you could mark up a Mora blade as you have already shown and just ask them to cut and drill it perhaps?
    If you get really desperate there is such a company local to me, a real old time 'back street' Engineering shop who I've no doubt could do that very easily.

  7. #7
    Tribesman bikebum1975's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Wandering through life
    Posts
    760
    I'm not a knife maker either but know that you'd need to anneal the blade first to cut it then retemper it. Interesting idea
    I'm not one of those complicated, mixed-up cats. I'm not looking for the secret to life.... I just go on from day to day, taking what comes. ~Frank Sinatra~


    " Nessmuk " says:
    " We do not go to the woods to rough it ; we go to
    smooth it — we get it rough enough in town. But
    let us live the simple, natural life in the woods, and

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by saxonaxe View Post
    Just a suggestion, but is there a small engineering firm in your area? They don't need to be knifemakers, you could mark up a Mora blade as you have already shown and just ask them to cut and drill it perhaps?
    If you get really desperate there is such a company local to me, a real old time 'back street' Engineering shop who I've no doubt could do that very easily.
    Good info.
    I'll have a look around.
    I live in Ottawa, Canada. I don't know any off the top of my head, but it's good to look into other options.

    Good outside the box thinking!

  9. #9
    Natural Born Bushcrafter saxonaxe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Sussex coast
    Posts
    867
    Ottawa!!.... I was going to say if you were stuck and lived close, next time I'm out on the MotoGuzzi I'd pick it up and take it to the local metal wizard..but we'll stand down on that idea...

  10. #10
    Just a short trip!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •