Thread: 9 months cabin project

9 months cabin project

Hi evereyone,

Sorry for not posting regularly, but I've in mind a new big big project.

I would like -in 2 years- to build my own cabin and stay in it during several months.
    In fact, I have the possibility to make a break in my school education, and I WILL do it. I'm determine and don't like to regret.

So it will be something like Thoreau made, or Sylvain Tesson if you know.

Yeah, something like this :

In fact, is it Dick Proenneke's cabin.

Maybe I'll make a movie on it, and pulish on the TV. But I'm not yet sure.
    Now, I'm looking for a place. I looked around the Carpathian, but contacts I have told me laws are very stricts. Even if that forest seems perfect, I can't because of restrictions ...
    So now my choice is about Scandinavia or desperetly the Est of Europe.

Let's me explain why these locations :
    - As an European, I need to stay in the Schengen space. Because I can stay as long as I want and not pay for a long trip visa.
    - Maximum of forest and wood ressources (especially to build a log cabin)
    - Some water, such as a lake or a nice river.
    - No people at 1 day walking around me, not to be disturb

So Scandinavia looked great because I can have all mentioned above. But. Some places are extremely wet, so a lot of mosquitoes and this not really pleasant. The light day become very short during winter, and I think I gonna depress if I can't see the sun for too long ....

But the very great place would be the Est of Europe. Because I could have low temperatures and snow on winter at "low" latitudes, various species of flora and fauna (wolves, bears, lynx), a equilibrate duration of day light in winter, and less people than West.

Now I need contacts. Who could indicate me some place I'll go for checking, have a B plan, and communicate with the extern world.
    So if you know a place with these indication or know somebody who knows, please put me in contact.

But also, if you want to discuss about his futur project, let's comment. I'll be glad to answer and try to build this new adventur !
    English isn't my mother tongue so pliz correct me if i'm wrong, thx !

Looks like a great idea but i'm sure it wouldn't be cheap! Good luck with your project anyway!
    If there are no women around and a man says something, is he still wrong?

Why not ?

If cameras are out, what is expensive ?

All I need are my tools, and few things I could buy on that place, such as windows, cement, plastic cover, and food. But that's not really expensive.
    The other items will be picked on the forest (wood, mosses, rocks, etc)

Natural Born Bushcrafter saxonaxe's Avatar
    Jacob, I wonder if you might find it easier to obtain permission/land in the Latvia, Lithuania or Estonia regions? I know what you mean about the Schengen Agreement but there may be a method of perhaps becoming a 'Temporary Resident' not just a visitor, if you offer to lease an area of woodland. Any of those country's Embassies near you, where you can make enquiries?

Yeah but becoming a temporary resident permit cost extra money ...

Countries near to me are Spain, Italia, which is not as much cold. Then, Switzerland, Deutschland, Netherland have too strict laws, I asked friends.

What I see, is it countries of the extrem Est or North of Europe. Except if you got an other destination ?

Natural Born Bushcrafter saxonaxe's Avatar
    No Jacob, I know of no place where you could build a cabin without some kind of permission, even Alaska has rules now about building in the wilderness.

Oh Rune????? You're input is needed!
    My blog, New England Bushcraft

"Give me six hours to chop down a tree, and I will spend the first four sharpening the axe."
    ~ Abraham Lincoln

"Be prepared, not scared."
    ~ Cody Lundin

Your chanses of getting permission to build a log cabin in any wild areas in Norway are zero. It's difficult even if you own the land. I would rather advice you to take advantage of the thousands of existing cabins strewn over the entire landscape. Pretty sure you could find one that would suit your needs. Just do not expect to be able to live off the land, at least not legally (recource wise it should be doable).
    Victory awaits the one, that has everything in order - luck we call it
    Defeat is an absolute consequense for the one that have neglected to do the necessary preparations - bad luck we call it
    (Roald Amundsen)

Bumbling Bushcraft on Youtube
    Nordisk Bushcraft - The Nordic bushcraft blog and forum

Thanks for your answer FishyFolk.
    Do you know why is it so difficult to have the permission even if you own the land ? What about a 3x4m square cabin ? Isn't it small enough to avoid permits ?
    Do you know legislation in other part of scandinavia, such as sweden ?

And if building my own cabin isn't possible, how could I find a nice cabin ? Where should I ask to get a cabin during several months ?

Thanks for your answers, having real comments form someone who live here is very precious to me !