Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sourcing German Paraboots

NaturalBushcraft Founder Ashley Cawley's Avatar

Question Sourcing German Paraboots

I have had a trusty pair of German Para boots (Mark 7 I believe) for a good few years now, purchased with Endicotts originally and I have been very happy with them. They've had a lot of use and unfortunately now one sole has come loose from the boot. Initially I was put off the idea of having a new sole put on as I have heard from others it often costs more to re-sole than buying a new pair of amry surplus german paras, so instead I thought I'd give Endicotts a call. I was surprised to hear that decent German para boots had become very hard to find and they just couldn't get quality stock anymore.

Looking around at other stores, if they do have them they don't seem to have my size (10 / 290). There's a lot of cheap/crap copies going around on eBay so have to be careful about what you do choose.

The harder it becomes looking for a new pair (I say new I'm thinking used / grade 1 army-surplus) I am thinking more about repairing my own pair. I've read a few good things about this "Shoe Goo" product which some seem to have had good success with essentially gluing back on the sole, has anyone used that product and if so how did it work for you?

Anyone know anywhere in the south west that is currently stocking decent German para boots?
    Ashley Cawley

Youtube | Forum | Twitter | Flickr
    Leave No Trace

If it's just the sole coming loose (as opposed to the sole being worn out) then why not go to a local shoe-repairer and get them to re-attach it using magical shoe-repairer stuff and things? They'll have the proper stuff, industrial strength, and know what they're doing.
    But failing that, I found this:

http://www.surplusandoutdoors.com/sh...ots-shoes.html

New for eighty-odd quid, or used (grade 1) for £40.
    Both sound too much for a scuzzy old pair of para boots if you ask me - but it's part of life's rich pageant, eh?

I never can remember if Surplus and Outdoors is one of the good guys to buy from or the ones who are a right pain in the Gary Glitter...
    'What is this life if, full of care, we have no time to stand and stare' - William Henry Davies

Kestrels:
    https://foraknave.wordpress.com/

Thinking:
    https://thinkingthink.wordpress.com/

Get a tin of "no nonsense" contact adhesive from screwfix. sticks soles on really well as long as you give the sole and upper a thorough clean and then roygh them up with sandpaper. Then just follow the instructions! Cheap and cheerful!
    If there are no women around and a man says something, is he still wrong?

It is just coming loose, it's not worn out too bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Humakt View Post
    I never can remember if Surplus and Outdoors is one of the good guys to buy from or the ones who are a right pain...
    Yeah I saw their ones, I'm just like you I can't remember if that is the company that burned me many years back or not, if not its name is incredibly similar.

I did do an emergency repair on it whilst staying up in the Lakes, emptied a bottle of super-glue into it and that did the job for all of two days! Which was ideal for what I needed at the time but promptly came away again.

Onto the stronger stuff, I've got some epoxy resin somewhere I think, I'm not sure if that'll be good or whether to go with something like this show goo which some people have had luck with: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Original-Sho...words=shoe+goo
    Ashley Cawley

Youtube | Forum | Twitter | Flickr
    Leave No Trace

epoxy probably wont do it as it sets hard so will crack as your shoe flexes which is why you need contact adhesive.

Good point!

I just has a complete new sole unit professionally added to mine, which is now stitched on instead of glued, A good job but not cheap, british commando pattern sole
    The repairer offered a new glued sole, which has to be built up over several days, he said it would not be a good as the sewn version
    Campfires are best shared with friends.

I've had soles re glued at the cobblers for next to nothing. even a pair of new soles was only about £15 quid last time I had it done.
    but that was on smartish town boots not anything like paras. I've ditched para boots cause of the soles in the past and regretted it. You're Cornwall based aren't you Ashley? The guy in Truro pannier market is great.

One with Nature
    "Always remember, no matter where you go there you are."
    hello Ashley,
    I had a browse at two resources up here in Scotland on Monday. Both have your boots in stock size 10/290 but both the condition of each set of boots are pretty poor even for Grade 1. I'll keep you posted "If" such come in stock & better condition. I have seen Grade 1 condition in as near new state BTW but these were pretty poor more Grade 2 well used..
    Regards
    David