Thread: Winter walking boots.

Winter walking boots.

After a good pair of winter waling boots. What makes are good at keeping toes dry and warm? I always get icey toes!

I'll stick to my usual advice

Ones that fit. Usually my winter boots are a size bigger to accommodate winter sock wear. Tight fitting boots invite frostbite (depending on location of course)
    [

Ah yes, I assume the tighter fit will just suck the heat from your feet!

Quote Originally Posted by rowantk View Post
    That is probably a factor, but the case is that a tighter fit will give you no room for insulattion, which is what you need. I.e a pair of thick, preferably felted wool socks, plus some good innsulating inner soles.
    With those two things in place, just about any boot will do, as long as it covers youre other requiremnts for a boot.

Here in Norway I use the same walking boots year round. Mostly becoase I can't afford more than one pair.
    But when I go to purchase I always wear my thickest felted wool socks over a thinner pair of wool socks, as two pairs is often necessary in winter.
    So I purchase my winter boots with wearing thick socks in them in mind.
    Last edited by FishyFolk; 17-10-2015 at 01:00 AM.
    Victory awaits the one, that has everything in order - luck we call it
    Defeat is an absolute consequense for the one that have neglected to do the necessary preparations - bad luck we call it
    (Roald Amundsen)

Bumbling Bushcraft on Youtube
    Nordisk Bushcraft - The Nordic bushcraft blog and forum

Quote Originally Posted by rowantk View Post
    No, they restrict blood flow by being too tight (as well.as not leaving room for insulation as rune says) as they also restrict movement this also leads to a.restriction in blood flow which in turn stops blood from being kept at the correct temperature
    [

Makes sense, thanks