Thread: fuel for paraffin lamps?

fuel for paraffin lamps?

I recently picked up a feuerhand paraffin lamp. I'm really pleased with it so far and was wondering if anyone had played with different fuels with these type of lamps? is there any kind of bio fuel i can use with it?

It's called a paraffine lamp for a reason...
    But I use parafine based barbecue lighting fuel in all my parafine burning stuff. It burns a lot cleaner and relatively smell free compared to
    the type of paraffine you get at the gas station.
    Victory awaits the one, that has everything in order - luck we call it
    Defeat is an absolute consequense for the one that have neglected to do the necessary preparations - bad luck we call it
    (Roald Amundsen)

Bumbling Bushcraft on Youtube
    Nordisk Bushcraft - The Nordic bushcraft blog and forum

The paraffin I've been using so far is fine. it doesn't smell really but I thought there might be other (cheaper) options these days.

I bought some Parrafin down at Warriors in Tuckingmill a couple of weeks ago for my lantern. Comes in 4 litre tubs and it was only just over £4.00.

They do two types, one being more environmently friendly

£1 /litre is pretty good. I'll get down there for some. Thank you.

I thought that as well mate. That place is my first port of call for anything. Always cheaper than everywhere else in the area.

Hi. I use the old type hurricane paraffin lamp that uses a wick. You can use a lower grade paraffin in these but you have to adjust the wick correctly. The pressue paraffin lamps like the Coleman its better to use the higher grade.

I recently bought two Baby Specials and while talking to my neighbour about them he told me that I should always light them outside or in the conservatory allow them 10 - 15 minutes to warm up and then bring them in as this reduces any odours in the room where you plan to use the lamp. This was handy to know as my wife has a hyper sensitive nose. I use ROLF low odour lamp oil in mine. Not the cheapest but worth it as it makes less aggro with the wife.
    Sent via wood pigeon from the Devon woods.

Yeah I bought some indoor lamp oil from the hardware store when I got the lantern. wasn't cheap but I wanted to play with it straight away. I've not found it to smell at all. I don't mind using something a bit smellier outside in the wind but it needs to be clean burning to use in the house.
    good tip on warming it up outside though. makes sense.👍