Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Smoking?

Smoking?

Im thinking of making a smoker for next summer when the mackerel are in. As (on some days) I catch plenty it would be nice to smoke rather than freeze. Freezing then defrosting, I find, ruins the flavour. Ive seen a few examples on the tinternet.....but from your experiences which way is the easiest with the best results?

Im thinking this is in the wrong section?....

Hi,

I regularly smoke fishes, especially this summer where i fished a lot of mackerel with my father.

I uploaded this video on youtube few months ago, may it help you ?
    Even if it's in french, they are the images. And if you have questions, ask

English isn't my mother tongue so pliz correct me if i'm wrong, thx !

Great video! Wish I knew French. So how long can you keep the fish after it has been smoked using this method?

I kept my fish one week in the kitchen. It hasn't rot, but the flesh was dryer.
    I think you can keep it until one month with this method. But you should smoke longer. Without carbonising the fish lol
    English isn't my mother tongue so pliz correct me if i'm wrong, thx !

Hobo
    One of my fave websites instructables hass this http://www.instructables.com/id/DIY-Smoker/

Hobo
    One of my fave websites instructables hass this http://www.instructables.com/id/DIY-Smoker/ also this was on my flipboard todayhttp://www.goodshomedesign.com/how-to-build-your-own-smoke-pit/

It really depends how much you plan to smoke, and if a significant amount, what you need from the smoker regarding mobility, footprint, etc.

Being a bushcraft forum, I initially though teepee style with a tarp (something you can then employ right at your camp. Or if for at home, I'd suggest either an old 50 gallon drum, or preferably, grab some tools and some wood and make something

I'm just a small fry, so I simply converted a wok into a smoker (on top of a camping stove on lowest heat) and thus is great for small batches, but will only hot smoke.

That is another consideration. Are you wanting to hot or cold smoke? Someone correct me if I'm wrong but packaged correctly I believe cold smoking g will make food last a lot longer than hot smoking. I'd suggest 2 weeks tops for hit smoked mackerel, just to play it safe. Vacuum sealing will of course help. While I dint tempt fate as I've important commitments, so only keep for a week, I made some smoked mackerel pate for my ma and she left it in the fridge for over 2 weeks before taking it down to exmore and greatly enjoying (still good enough that she skipped cuttlery and just ate it with her finger)

I love smoked food, and food, and smoking, and smoking food, so just shout if you need anyone humanoid at. I have to admit that I've smoked food about 15 times (duck, sausage, salmon and mackerel) but have many years as a chef, so I'm sure that some fun can be had

One of the best websites that I know of is this one which I'm a member of

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/f/

You will find everything that you need to know from here.

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by jacob karhu View Post
    I kept my fish one week in the kitchen. It hasn't rot, but the flesh was dryer.
    I think you can keep it until one month with this method. But you should smoke longer. Without carbonising the fish lol
    You can make a smoker from an old filing cabinet

"English isn't my mother tongue so pliz correct me if i'm wrong, thx !" please...I'm...thanks.
    Richard
    South Wales UK