Thread: Bees and honey

Bees and honey

I love honey. Been considering some hives once I get some free cash. Has anyone seen these? They look awesome

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0_pj4cz2VJM

One with Nature
    "Always remember, no matter where you go there you are."
    hello,
    to the NBCUK http://www.honeyflow.com/
    Regards
    David

thanks

awesome hive!

I checked these out a while ago. I'm not convinced the honey would flow that well at British temperatures. especially with nectars which are prone to crystallisation. nice idea though.

That's a very good point Pootle. And an expensive gamble if it doesn't flow. I suppose it depends on what the bees harvest also. The consistency of the honey is different with what plant they collect from I believe?

Your right it does depend on the forage. honey made from ivy nectar , for example, will crystallise quite readily. especially at lower temps further north.
    These flow hives are very new. It will be interesting to see reports after a full year of use in various situations. If they do work then it's a great way for people to produce honey without having to open the hive which means less disturbance for the bees. Unfortunately though with the prevalence of varroa and other diseases a colony that is not inspected and maintained has a very short life expectancy. so there's not really any such thing as hands off beekeeping like there used to be.