Thread: which gear?

which gear?

When it comes to clothing do you always get what you paid for? Is it always better to spend big?.......if you can afford it! :P

Quote Originally Posted by rowantk View Post
    When it comes to clothing do you always get what you paid for? Is it always better to spend big?.......if you can afford it! :P
    No you do not always get what you pay for. But the real question is...do you really need it?

Given a choice when it comes to outdoor clothes, I would spend the money on the outer shell. The clothes that will keep my insulated from the elements so to speak. F.eks I lacked a propper wind and water proof shell jacket. Those can cost hundreds of £, that I did not have. Sp I ended up asking on here, and a member provided with me with a brittish army dessert pattern "goretex" jacket. I feel like a duff everytime I wear it, but I do not really give much of a toss, as it does the job of keeping me out of the wind and reasonably dry. It simply cover my needs.

Would I have spent my money on some expensive name brand gore tex if I could afford it instead? YES!
    Do need to? NO!

That jacket covers my needs and then some. The only thing I get for the extra cash would be something more civillian looking. And frankly...that is not so important to me.
    well...I keep this one in the rucksak, and just wear it over my cotton anorak if it starts rain or the wind gets uncomfy...
    Victory awaits the one, that has everything in order - luck we call it
    Defeat is an absolute consequense for the one that have neglected to do the necessary preparations - bad luck we call it
    (Roald Amundsen)

Bumbling Bushcraft on Youtube
    Nordisk Bushcraft - The Nordic bushcraft blog and forum

thanks 'Fishy' I'll look at the surplus gore tex on ebay