Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Does anyone use a folding sleeping mat?

Trapper

Does anyone use a folding sleeping mat?

Does anyone use one of these -

http://www.survivalaids.com/future-s...gDsaAgT58P8HAQ

As opposed to the regular roll up ones? How do they fare in comparison?

Prefer a roll up one as I can put it inside my bergan and put my stuff in the hole in the middle.....with a folding mat you're kind of committed to having it strapped to the outside
    [

I have a couple of DofE teens that use them and don't seem to complain but by the time they have walked all day with a full pack they would sleep on a rock and not care anyway.

Trapper
    Quote Originally Posted by Sapper View Post
    Prefer a roll up one as I can put it inside my bergan and put my stuff in the hole in the middle.....with a folding mat you're kind of committed to having it strapped to the outside
    Is it just the shape making it awkward to fit in your bergen?

I suppose I could jiggle it about but to be honest I've gone to an inflating mat now
    [

It's the thickness of those that puts me off. The slightest pebble or tuft of grass would be felt and I don't see the point when thicker mattress are available that pack smaller. A plus side is the weight and cost though I must admit.

I don't use a folding sleep mat, but I do own one.
    Actually, I don't use a roll-up sleep mat either. To be honest, I seldom camp out, but if I do then it will be in a hammock with a self-inflating mat in the sleeve.

But I did use a folding mat for a while. I found them useless as a sleep mat because they were just too thin. They were great as a sit-mat/ground sheet! I actually find them easier to put in a bag because they are flat - you can put them against the back of your pack and it helps keep the pack rigid and also provides padding.

So, in summary - don't bother with either a folding or rolling mat. Save up a few pennies and get a self-inflating one.
    'What is this life if, full of care, we have no time to stand and stare' - William Henry Davies

Kestrels:
    https://foraknave.wordpress.com/

Thinking:
    https://thinkingthink.wordpress.com/

They are ok for use as a mate at our local range..... That's what ours gets used for anyway
    [

I know a few US mil-surplus sites sell German Army folding mats, and some folks here do like them. I haven't tried one, but I would rather snooze comfortably on my Thermarest Trail Pro. Some roll mats are decent as well, like the Thermarest Ridgerest SoLite. It's just that a lot of mil-surplus kit wasn't designed to be comfortable...the mats are usually quite thin and offer only the bare minimal insulation. My brother's USMC issue sleeping mat, for example, was only half an inch/1.3 cm thick.

However, if you really want something that folds, is lightweight, and offers 2.6 R value, check this out - http://www.cascadedesigns.com/therm-...z-lite/product

The R value is enough for 3 season use, and for the cold months, it can be paired with another closed-cell foam mat or a self-inflating pad to get a higher R-value (you want 4.5 or more of padding/insulation underneath you during winter) so you don't freeze your bum off .
    My blog, New England Bushcraft

"Give me six hours to chop down a tree, and I will spend the first four sharpening the axe."
    ~ Abraham Lincoln

"Be prepared, not scared."
    ~ Cody Lundin

I have a waterproof heat reflective queen size sleeping mat that i have used a few times , it works great and can be converted into a shelter if needs be, but its a bit too ''shiney'' for my liking. It doesnt really match with my 18th century style pack either so i usually just fill up a separate wool blanket with leaves and use that as a mattress. Works great
    ''The man who goes afoot, prepared to camp anywhere and in any weather, is the most independent fellow on earth.'' - Horace Kephart

''The more you know, The less you have to carry. The less you know, the more you have to carry.'' -Mors Kochanski