Thread: Wood Stove and an Axe

Wood Stove and an Axe

I just struck the deal of the century, my friends!

The local newspaper was advertising a wood stove in the "Absolutely Free" section of the Classifieds a few days ago. I couldn't believe anyone in their right mind who would give away a wood stove for free, so I gave the person a call. She lives one town over and invited me to come by and take a look.

So I did...and I could hardly believe that this stove was refurbished in 2012 (the last year she used it), all the parts that needed fixing were fixed....and she was giving it away for FREE. The stove is a cast iron "Franklin" type made by DutchWest (since 1974), measuring 83 cm tall by 76 cm wide (at base the base, 74 cm at top), and 49 cm deep. Per hour, it can give off 11,300 - 26,500 BTUs, which is enough to heat the house.

Why was she giving it away? She's getting on in years - she's a grandmother, her husband passed-on, and she's in the process of packing up. Now, keep in mind that a stove like this costs at least $2000 new....and I got it at no cost . She kept all the paperwork on it, the installation and instruction manual, proof of purchase, as well as all the parts to the stove: ash tray, the two andirons, the spark arrestor, smoke pipes, and the door handle piece.

It took two movers to load it onto a trailer pulled by a Uhaul truck, plus the muscle of my next door neighbors, me, and my friend's father (6 people total) to help get in in the house right by the fireplace. But it was well worth it . The movers only asked for $150, jaw-dropping because most professionals want more $$$, but we tipped them with free Long Trail Brewing pumpkin ales and homemade bread .

Here's the beauty, can't wait to get her installed and stoked up

And whilst I was at this lady's house, she and I got talking about firewood, splitting it, and axes...and she gave me a unique-looking splitting axe. I'm sure not many people if any here have seen it before...

It was made in the USA by a company called "Chopper1". They patented a design which uses mechanical leverage to split wood. It's complicated to explain....essentially, when the bit strikes the wood, it will come into contact with levers which will spread out and force the wood apart. This was the splitting axe the lady's husband used years ago to split wood to heat the wood stove.
    My blog, New England Bushcraft

"Give me six hours to chop down a tree, and I will spend the first four sharpening the axe."
    ~ Abraham Lincoln

"Be prepared, not scared."
    ~ Cody Lundin

Oh lucky you!!

You got more than a deal there!
    My bro got a second hand wood burner for 200 quid and its just like the one you got there and he thought he got a bargain.

Quote Originally Posted by Night_Rose View Post
    Oh lucky you!!

You got more than a deal there!
    My bro got a second hand wood burner for 200 quid and its just like the one you got there and he thought he got a bargain.
    The best offer I've seen was $70 for a potbelly stove, probably 1/2 the size of this one. Didn't have the $$ at the time, though.
    But £200 isn't bad considering he payed probably a tenth the actual cost of such a stove .

"Give me six hours to chop down a tree, and I will spend the first four sharpening the axe."
    ~ Abraham Lincoln

~ Cody Lundin

Samuel Hearne
    I like the look of that stove and you got it for FREE well done!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by ian c View Post
    I like the look of that stove and you got it for FREE well done!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    You never know what you may find in the newspaper's buy-sell-give-away section . Once in a lifetime opportunity, that's for sure. And we didn't even know this lady! But hey, she's happy that it's out of her garage and in the hands of someone who will treasure it...and I'm thrilled at the deal and generosity .

~ Abraham Lincoln

~ Cody Lundin

You lucky .......
    If there are no women around and a man says something, is he still wrong?

Nice find

Cheers
    Tim
    "Travel a thousand miles by train and you are a brute;
    pedal five hundred on a bicycle and you remain basically a bourgeois;
    paddle a hundred in a canoe and you are already a child of nature."

Now what do ya want for that axe man? Lmao. Cool score
    “I'm not one of those complicated, mixed-up cats. I'm not looking for the secret to life.... I just go on from day to day, taking what comes.” ~Frank Sinatra~

" Nessmuk " says:
    " We do not go to the woods to rough it ; we go to
    smooth it — we get it rough enough in town. But
    let us live the simple, natural life in the woods, and

Quote Originally Posted by bikebum1975 View Post
    Now what do ya want for that axe man? Lmao. Cool score
    Ha! You'll have to pry it from me cold, dead hands

~ Abraham Lincoln

~ Cody Lundin