Thread: Recycling|

Recycling|

I have come to love the recycling system in the town I live in.

One thing is the public recycling plant. They have recycling stations all over town where you throw away your bottles, tins, etc. Andthe large central recycling plant where you can
    deliver larger things like old furniture, bicycles, etc. At the former, they have a couple of containers where you can put things you want to get rid of, but are still serviceable. And people are free to help thmselves from the content. I threw away an old bicycle today. The back wheel was bent, so was the frame etc... and picked up a pair of brand new skis that should fit the runt perfectly :-) All completely free.

Another is a local facebook group where you can advertise stuff you want to give away for free. It's a great way to get rid of stuff you do not need anymore, but someopne else may appreciate. You find all sorts of stuff there, from furniture to kids clothes, toys and bicycles. All perfectly good things that otherwise would have been trashed, or put in a shed somewhere and forgotten...

There is also a facebook page where you can sell your stuff, if you want money for it. Which is also great.
    Victory awaits the one, that has everything in order - luck we call it
    Defeat is an absolute consequense for the one that have neglected to do the necessary preparations - bad luck we call it
    (Roald Amundsen)

Bumbling Bushcraft on Youtube
    Nordisk Bushcraft - The Nordic bushcraft blog and forum

Yeah we have a few sites like that here as well, they are a great way of upcycling stuff that is, as you say, still usable

I've never seen one, but I like the idea. I moderate a local Freecycle group and it's great to see things getting passed on rather than going to landfill.

Sounds like we need more of your "exchange sites" over here in the UK.

The problem is you cannot get things from our local tip any more. I used to get old folding bicycles, do them up and sell them to visiting yachtsmen to earn a little cash when I was a kid.

paul
    aman

We need this kind of system where I live. You can get some interesting things at a junk yard (for a small fee, the value of the metal itself), and every now and then you'll see stuff along the road in front of people's houses with a big "FREE" sign. I found an old and still serviceable kerosene (or "paraffin" as you folks would say) lantern under one such "FREE" sign. Old couches and chairs are also common, and sometimes you'll find firewood up for grabs.

Having all this stuff in one place would be great....it would save cycling around town and the surrounding towns looking for loot LOL
    Last edited by OakAshandThorn; 01-09-2015 at 12:27 PM. Reason: dang, I really need my morning coffee.....
    My blog, New England Bushcraft

"Give me six hours to chop down a tree, and I will spend the first four sharpening the axe."
    ~ Abraham Lincoln

"Be prepared, not scared."
    ~ Cody Lundin

I love the idea of being able to take stuff away. Quite often I've been at the local recycling tip and seen one or two bits I wouldn't mind taking away. I don't know if they do have tips where you can take stuff away here in the UK, but it'd be a great idea.
    As someone else has mentioned, there is Freecycle.
    'What is this life if, full of care, we have no time to stand and stare' - William Henry Davies

Kestrels:
    https://foraknave.wordpress.com/

Thinking:
    https://thinkingthink.wordpress.com/

Much of the stuff is saved by the the people working there. It would all just go to the big crusher if not. So when they see something usefull, specially kids stuff like bicycles, skis, sleds etc, they take it aside and put it in the container. The runt has been wanting one of them pedal tractors all summer, but a new one is quite expensive, so we have not been able to afford one, as he also needed a new bicycle etc.
    But last time we were there I spotted one just sitting there. A bit worn but in good shape. So I asked if I could take it for my lad, and they even carried it to the car for me :-)

And this time I found him a pair of skis, that look like they have hardly been used. I could have grabbed a pair for myself as well, but I have all the skis I need :-)
    Victory awaits the one, that has everything in order - luck we call it
    Defeat is an absolute consequense for the one that have neglected to do the necessary preparations - bad luck we call it
    (Roald Amundsen)

Bumbling Bushcraft on Youtube
    Nordisk Bushcraft - The Nordic bushcraft blog and forum

We can't take anything from recycling centres since a French company took over the running of them.

Even though we pay our council taxes we now have to pay extra to get rid of stuff, even though the council then sells it on to the said company.

In their wisdom, the local council thought it would raise a bit more revenue. Now the flytipping reports have gone up 600% and they have to pick it all up.

The council were told about the risks before bringing in the charges but that's what you get when you are served by one of the most corrupt councils in the UK.

Samuel Hearne
    I would like to see the local council sell some of the stuff that people dump at the tip instead of crushing it.