Thread: Tools vs S.W.M.B.O

Tools vs S.W.M.B.O

Wen't fishing today with the wife and the runt. It was afternoon and we had not eaten yet so we barbecued some food on a camp fire before we started fishing.
    So I start to ready rods, while the wife starts the fire (she is bery good at that). To do this she need s to chop up some fire wood. So I see her take my Wetterlings out of the pack, but I tunr away as I have to sun in my eyes...the sound of chopping...and then the sound of metal hiting bedrock...

Yup, she chipped it...

Later as we fish, she has cought one and goes for the pack again to get a knife for cleaning it. I assume she will get the knife we have for the purpose...a Mora 2K.
    She cleans the fish, and goes to the waters edge, kneel and rinse of the knife. It's then that I spot that it is my beloved Wenger Ranger knife she is dunking into sea water..

Well, well, the axe is somewhat restored know...and the knife is sitting in a bowl of freshwater, and will later get some WD40... so all is well...and next time we are on family outing, only the 4.99£ Moras and the 10£ hatschets are coming...

Lessons learned, ha. Never lend your tools, not even to close familly. Love her to bits though :-=
    Victory awaits the one, that has everything in order - luck we call it
    Defeat is an absolute consequense for the one that have neglected to do the necessary preparations - bad luck we call it
    (Roald Amundsen)

Bumbling Bushcraft on Youtube
    Nordisk Bushcraft - The Nordic bushcraft blog and forum

LOL cheapskate, get SWMBO her own ( cheap ) set, let her bash them about, I feel your pain

Well that'll teach you!
    If there are no women around and a man says something, is he still wrong?

I have yet to discover why my expensive insulated screw drivers are used to open and stir paint. I have loads of old ones but they are not shiny I suppose.
    “For the strength of the Pack is the Wolf, and the strength of the Wolf is the Pack.”

Look on the bright side; your wife goes out with you. My wife will only very infrequently join me sitting in the canoe. Using an axe or knife, gutting a fish, or even catching one... you lucky lucky bar steward.

Oh man.....that must have hurt. Last year I was teaching my older brother how to chop safely and effectively without hacking like madman brute, and so I gave him my Gränsfors Bruks small forest axe to practice with whilst I supervised him. It quickly became apparent that he wasn't following along with my instructions. After some hard swings like an axe murderer, I intervened and said "How about I finish the job and you take the saw", which he did. I didn't want the axe to chip (he missed several times, too close to the ground), and I didn't want him to hurt himself (his posture was all wrong, even though I tried to show him that standing wielding such a short axe to chop something close to the ground was not a good idea...he was also not flexing his knees). Suffice to say I made sure I kept my sharp things away after that.

Later that same day, he broke about 5 cm off of my Silky Pocketboy 170mm, again, sawing like a madman . I showed and told him that you only apply force on the pull stroke, NOT the push stroke. Didn't matter, oh well. But it's a lot easier to replace a broken saw blade. We both get along well, but I learned a valuable lesson that day, the same you learned, Rune. Be very careful of whom you trust to use your tools.
    My blog, New England Bushcraft

"Give me six hours to chop down a tree, and I will spend the first four sharpening the axe."
    ~ Abraham Lincoln

"Be prepared, not scared."
    ~ Cody Lundin

Quote Originally Posted by Bernie View Post
    Look on the bright side; your wife goes out with you. My wife will only very infrequently join me sitting in the canoe. Using an axe or knife, gutting a fish, or even catching one... you lucky lucky bar steward.
    My wife is a Thai-Khmer country girl out of the sticks in Isaan, she can out-bushcraft me, and probably everyone on the forum anytime she like :-)

The problem is that she thinks every sharp tool is a 5 baht parang made from spring steel...
    ...and if I ever tell her what I paid for that axe, she'll use it on my testicles...
    Last edited by FishyFolk; 22-08-2015 at 06:14 PM.
    Victory awaits the one, that has everything in order - luck we call it
    Defeat is an absolute consequense for the one that have neglected to do the necessary preparations - bad luck we call it
    (Roald Amundsen)

Bumbling Bushcraft on Youtube
    Nordisk Bushcraft - The Nordic bushcraft blog and forum

Samuel Hearne
    Rune I know what you mean SWMBO once used one of my favourite knives while we were sea fishing I did not know at the time and about a week later when I went to use it was rusty an well pitted to the point that the pits were to deep in the blade to save it so it went into the bin.

BJ

Your comment made me laugh.

You're right though !!

Quote Originally Posted by FishyFolk View Post
    and if I ever tell her what I paid for that axe, she'll use it on my testicles...
    Now that made me laugh!
    If there are no women around and a man says something, is he still wrong?