Thread: where best to camp around the midlands area??

Alone in the Wilderness

where best to camp around the midlands area??

I was wondering as a beginner from Birmingham, where would the best place to wild camp and try out some bushcraft skills close to where i live?? it seems to me trying to find somewhere local is harder than i thought it would be, especially living in a city.. Please help as its getting me a little frustrated finding a location..
    thanks... Dallas..

Hobo
    I am a Birmingham Lad......well I'm 42 so knot much of a lad now but I am looking for somewhere too for myself and my nephew to get away at the weekends. Let me know if you have any joy and I will do the same.

With a substantial canal network in the midlands you could try one of those? Scout using google earth and pick a nice quiet wooded area away from the "maddening crowds"

Gotta be worth a try?

Cheers
    Tim
    "Travel a thousand miles by train and you are a brute;
    pedal five hundred on a bicycle and you remain basically a bourgeois;
    paddle a hundred in a canoe and you are already a child of nature."

have u looked at kingsford and kinver forest park on the kingsford Rd at kinver, some of the canals out that way have excellent bits of land beside the canal, I do a bit of walking around that area
    I do not fear the valley, for I am the shadow

I come from a long line of Conga dancers

Hobo
    Thank you, I will have a gander.

I did try and get a midlands meet together at the Kniver scout camp but after a lot of problems with permissions and the fact I was working away in Wiltshire at the time it fell through. I may try looking again at somewhere to get a meet together again with permissons but it will take some time to find somewhere suitable. In the mean time there is a meet held near the Belfy golf course at North Wood with is held ever other month. the next meet is coming up at 29th April-1 May it is run by Woodspirits who is a member on here as well. But I am happy to answer any questions as I am an old hand at the meets and one of the original people who started going there we have now been using it for about 5 years and although HS2 is going through the middle of the wood we have not yet been given a date when the work will start. It is a lovely ancient wood which we have sole use of and has a large variety of woods and plenty of interesting plants as well.

I've found a site just south of Ashby De La Zouch. The meets are arranged via Facebook and the owners are nice people. PM me for details.

M@
    "If you were to ask me what I consider to be my finest achievement, I could answer the question without hesitation: teaching." ~ Raymond Blanc.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot 2016-04-05 at 22.35.51.jpg 
Views:	255 
Size:	22.7 KB 
ID:	13583

OK, you are going to think I am a bit touched in the head, but last year I slept out 12 times (once a month) in peculiar places. October was on the (very) round roundabout you can see in the middle of this picture. It is the A38/M5 junction at Burnham on Sea. Obviously no open fire, but supper, overnight and breakfast were all enjoyed in the trees on the roundabout! This year I expect one will be in the slightly off round area within the circle of the motorway junction.

My point being, it is possible to find a bit of something wild in the strangest places.... I have just had a quick Google map search of Birmingham, there is loads of greenery. Seek and you shall find

I fancy the Neville hall estate woods at the junction of the A458 and Chester Rd, I've been walking the dog there scoping the place and it's looking really good for a campClick image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	234 
Size:	20.0 KB 
ID:	13584

If anyone fancies a walk there some time to have a butchers, give me a shout, weekend only though