Thread: Ash & Rowan Spoon

Ash & Rowan Spoon

This one is a knife finished "Ash" bowl, in a stylised leaf shape. It has a hand sanded "Rowan" handle. The neck may look a little thin, and I wouldn't go that thin next time for sure. But it is stronger than it looks. The wood had a very pronounced bend in it.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MDSP_004a.jpg 
Views:	267 
Size:	79.5 KB 
ID:	13390

Name:	MDSP_004b.jpg 
Views:	254 
Size:	66.3 KB 
ID:	13391

Name:	MDSP_004c.jpg 
Views:	266 
Size:	87.8 KB 
ID:	13392
    Last edited by Magicdave; 18-07-2015 at 07:19 PM. Reason: Added info/Grammer

Samuel Hearne
    That is nice looking.

Thanks Ian. It started off as a cooking spoon, hence the pointy bit. I tried making the stem slim enough to look like it held the leaf. As a result it's too thin for cooking, and the wrong shape for eating. I have more Rowan and I'm on the look out for a piece of Ash the right size to make a small, leaf style, bowl/dish as a light serving set. It's more than strong enough for this purpose.

Now that's class . You're more bold than I am going that thin...my stems are a bit chunky
    My blog, New England Bushcraft

"Give me six hours to chop down a tree, and I will spend the first four sharpening the axe."
    ~ Abraham Lincoln

"Be prepared, not scared."
    ~ Cody Lundin

Thanks again.

I suppose I started off with, greenwood/spoons, a few moths ago working with very small pieces. Meanwhile snapping many spoons at the neck, on testing. That must have helped. But I will say, The bend in the wood allowed me to keep decent strength as the grain goes straight down the neck and curves into the bowl, if I was to put the same angle where the stem/bowl meets on a straight piece of wood this would be useless, whether the neck or the bowl had the straight grain.

Even so, there's no way I'd pack this one to take out. I think it's a "bringing bush craft to the dinner table" style spoon.

Actually, a size reference might be good here. It's 20.5cm long, bowl width 4cm wide by 6cm long (all approx.). The neck is 4mm square at its thinest.