Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Giant Hog Weed

One with Nature
    "Always remember, no matter where you go there you are."

Giant Hog Weed

hello,
    How to survive this year's curse of giant hogweed. I was reading this with interest as I've seen it growing in places where I've been walking recently right next to public footpaths & all it takes is some unexpected passer by to walk straight into such or accidentally brush against it.*link contains graphic images - http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/ar...ontact-it.html
    Regards
    David

Trapper
    Beautiful North Yorkshire Coast - love it
    It is kinda difficult to miss though isn't it being so distinctive? Certainly do need to raise awareness for any young 'uns who aren't aware of it
    On a planet that increasingly resembles one huge Maximum Security prison, the only intelligent choice is to plan a jail break.

Robert Anton Wilson

One with Nature
    hello,
    I've come across such recently on walkabout & it's pretty much on the beaten track, public walkways, all it takes is some children fooling around or accidentally brushing against such.. I'm going to take my camera over & photograph some of the huge growths before they're destroyed. Seen it in abundance along the railway embankment too near to where I was walking & it was massive.
    Regards
    David

Quote Originally Posted by Silkhi View Post
    It is kinda difficult to miss though isn't it being so distinctive? Certainly do need to raise awareness for any young 'uns who aren't aware of it

Samuel Hearne
    The other week I had to clear a lot of Giant hog weed and made a big mistake by not covering my arms when cutting it down so had lots of itchy spots on my arms for a while also after the itching stopped was left with marks on my arms that took quite a while to go.

There's a small stream that runs down between ours and the neighbours property. When we moved in in mid March I was looking over the fence and lo and behold I saw a juvenile hogweed. I wasn't 100% sure so I let it grow up a bit then I was certain. When the stream is low we sometime get local kids walking down it and I didn't want then finding it so I wrapped up like it was winter in Alaska and attacked the damn thing. When I was finished I noticed my gloves and lower arms of the coat were covered in sap I had to get my wife to hose me down before I took my gloves and coat off. Hate that weed!
    Sent via wood pigeon from the Devon woods.

One with Nature
    hello,
    There's some horror stories about hog weed. Better getting yourself checked out ian c just to be on the safe side & TarHeelBrit decontamination brush & soapy water is the best method.
    Regards
    David

Quote Originally Posted by David_JAFO View Post
    hello,
    There's some horror stories about hog weed. Better getting yourself checked out ian c just to be on the safe side & TarHeelBrit decontamination brush & soapy water is the best method.
    Regards
    David
    Thanks David. Actually it was quite funny as my American wife didn't know about hogweed until I told her so she didn't take any chances. After removing my coat and gloves she grabbed the BBQ tongs and at arms length like the gloves and coat was a UXB gingerly walked them into the washing machine and ordered me into the shower. Two washes later she was sure the coat and gloves weren't going to "explode".
    Sent via wood pigeon from the Devon woods.

I first learned about giant hogweed the hard way... Whilst strimming in a t shirt. thankfully I had a visor on so my face didn't get burned but my arms and neck were a mess for weeks. But cover up and you'll be fine. There not triffids.!

I've never run into it, but I hear it can be found in the Eastern US as well as Canada. Sounds worse than a bad case of poison ivy!
    My blog, New England Bushcraft

"Give me six hours to chop down a tree, and I will spend the first four sharpening the axe."
    ~ Abraham Lincoln

"Be prepared, not scared."
    ~ Cody Lundin

its rife along the banks of the Tees round Yarm. I was taught as a kid to watch out for it. Its even growing in a nearby play park - the local council keep clearing and spraying it but its also growing on adjacent railway land and Network Rail are being less than co-operative so it just keeps spreading.