Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Giant Hog Weed

Here we go:

Anybody living in these states coloured purple (invasive range) on the map, BEWARE. https://gobotany.newenglandwild.org/...antegazzianum/
    My blog, New England Bushcraft

"Give me six hours to chop down a tree, and I will spend the first four sharpening the axe."
    ~ Abraham Lincoln

"Be prepared, not scared."
    ~ Cody Lundin

In my line of work for a local utility (based out of the UK...I'll let you guess) we have received warnings from "corporate" just about every spring since I started 5 years ago about the dangers of Giant Hog Weed. I've encountered it multiple times when doing site visits, but thankfully have been able to give it a wide berth.

I heard just recently about some friends of my niece who were on a day-hike and ran across the weed. Apparently they said to each other, "Wow, look how big that Queen-Anne's Lace is!" and proceeded to pick some. I don't know how many kids there were, or the severity of the burns, but my sister said they learned an unfortunate lesson that day.

Great links to share, both David and Jon. Thanks for posting.

All the best!

Josh
    "Everywhere is within walking distance if you have the time..." ~Steven Wright~

One with Nature
    "Always remember, no matter where you go there you are."
    hello,
    jbrown14 "Ouch" there were horror stories about kids playing & actually pushing other kids against such, even though they were warned of the dangers. Every time I see these huge tree like plants, I shudder to think someone's going to come through there, off the beaten track, & collide head on with such. To think that Docking Leaf works with Nettle stings, I wonder if there is some undiscovered plant out there antidote for Giant Hog Weed?
    Regards
    David

Quote Originally Posted by David_JAFO View Post
    To think that Docking Leaf works with Nettle stings, I wonder if there is some undiscovered plant out there antidote for Giant Hog Weed?
    Regards
    David
    That's a great thought, David. I like to point out Jewelweed to my kids (or whoever I happen to be with) as it can usually be found in close proximity to Poison Ivy for which it is a remedy.

I'm certainly not as versed in plants as many on here are, but I'd be willing to guess if the native habitat of the Giant Hog Weed was investigated, the remedy you theorize could probably be found. Very cool idea!

Incidentally, I didn't know that Docking Leaf was a cure for Nettle stings. Dock is rife in my yard, but I have no nettles as yet. Thanks for the additional information.

All the best,

Josh
    "Everywhere is within walking distance if you have the time..." ~Steven Wright~

One with Nature
    hello,
    Josh well I was brought up in the countryside & along the way you tend to learn these things & great to know you teach the younger generation the natural remedies. I think if there was an antidote to giant hog weed it would have to be something special, whether ingested or a combination rub on liniment cure, due to the severity of the burns. Whatever the remedy, I certainly wouldn't like put it to the test but would be of some interest to know if there is such a natural cure remedy available.
    Regards
    David

Quote Originally Posted by jbrown14 View Post
    That's a great thought, David. I like to point out Jewelweed to my kids (or whoever I happen to be with) as it can usually be found in close proximity to Poison Ivy for which it is a remedy. I'm certainly not as versed in plants as many on here are, but I'd be willing to guess if the native habitat of the Giant Hog Weed was investigated, the remedy you theorize could probably be found. Very cool idea! Incidentally, I didn't know that Docking Leaf was a cure for Nettle stings. Dock is rife in my yard, but I have no nettles as yet. Thanks for the additional information.
    All the best,
    Josh

What about the use of the weed Plantain,it is a lot better at the relief of nettle stings than dock,Google it to find out more.

+1 for the plantain . great for stings, burns etc. use it like you would dock or as a poultice.

One with Nature
    hello,
    The dock leaf came to mind first when I mentioned the nettles, I am aware of plantain & it's uses. Thanks for the reminder.
    Regards
    David

Quote Originally Posted by David_JAFO View Post
    hello,
    The dock leaf came to mind first when I mentioned the nettles, I am aware of plantain & it's uses. Thanks for the reminder.
    Regards
    David
    I was out the other weekend along the Ashby canal and we stopped to see if the dog wanted to "do a few lengths" as there was already another dog in there. Whilst all this was happening, the lady owner of the other dog was bitten by a horse fly. I glanced down and we were all standing in a mass of Plantago Major. I told the lady to treat her bite with it as she would use a dock leaf for a nettle sting. Within a minute she thanked me and said that the discomfort had gone completely. Amazing stuff.

Dog didn't like swimming.
    "If you were to ask me what I consider to be my finest achievement, I could answer the question without hesitation: teaching." ~ Raymond Blanc.

One with Nature
    hello,
    Bump.. a reminder of the dangers of giant hog weed this time of year whilst out n' about TGO.
    Regards
    David