Thread: Impossible Tree Identification Help

Impossible Tree Identification Help

This one I'm at a proper loss, It has been down for who knows how many years and this is all that is left. If anyone can tell me what this is I'll be over the moon.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	01b.jpg 
Views:	272 
Size:	99.3 KB 
ID:	13361Click image for larger version. 

Name:	02b.jpg 
Views:	233 
Size:	99.2 KB 
ID:	13362Click image for larger version. 

Name:	03b.jpg 
Views:	271 
Size:	99.6 KB 
ID:	13363Click image for larger version. 

Name:	04b.jpg 
Views:	255 
Size:	98.4 KB 
ID:	13364Click image for larger version. 

Name:	05b.jpg 
Views:	225 
Size:	99.9 KB 
ID:	13365

It just popped into my head, this is a completely different tree than the one I mentioned in my other recent post. http://www.naturalbushcraft.co.uk/fo...ification-Help

If it was left to lay where it once stood, have a look around the base of the old stump and see what saplings are growing there. That would be your best bet for an identification as it would be quite hard to do it any other way from those pictures. Saying that, it does look very similar to an old sycamore I have had laying decaying for some time.

Quote Originally Posted by jus_young View Post
    it does look very similar to an old sycamore
    The bark remember me that tree in fact.
    English isn't my mother tongue so pliz correct me if i'm wrong, thx !

Thans for the start lads, I really thought it would be a no go for getting anywhere. The saplings thing, wow, I'd never have thought of that.

One with Nature
    "Always remember, no matter where you go there you are."
    hello,
    I think it does look like a sycamore & the saplings idea I'd go along with that. Just a thought, if you haven't tried, why not ask within the cemetery the green/grounds keeper or cemetery records enquire if such a tree was planted next to the head stone by the family of the deceased or records of the said green/grounds keepers of the past. It's amazing what records & knowledge are kept within a cemetery records office.
    Regards
    David

I asked in the cemetery David. They have no idea. They told me when I first spoke to them they have people to cut the grass and keep the place tidy. When big stuff like this comes down they need to pay contractors and have such a low budget they can't even afford to have it removed when it's down. Hence, why the main parts are still there and why they are more than happy for me to be helping them out by taking it way.

This bit is who nows old though. I've abandoned it until if I ever feel like getting into sculptural chainsaw carving.

A shame, it would make a cracking, massive, spoon.

I am still curious, and will see if I can go further with identifying it.

Similar idea to the saplings, have a rummage at the base of near by grass and in the nooks and crannies, look for old seeds as these can hang around for a long time esp if sheltered, but check for nearby trees in case they blown by.how about a close up of bark, looking pretty smooth so beech and sycamore looking likely.
    have you asked the church, either for old piccies or a record of any tree work, or chuch council type folks knowing or remembering
    good luck

There's no church there. But I hadn't thought of old photo's. This cemetery is popular with dog walkers, joggers and I know a few older people local to me that take their grandkids walks around it. I'll ask around.