Thread: Another Tree Identification Help

Another Tree Identification Help

I've come across anther cropper. I think/hope it will be an easy one for anyone other than in my naivety. I got permission from the local cemetery to help myself to a very old cut down tree, as a result I have some massive bits of wood to work with, but again I'm struggling with what it is.

The still living tree beside it is the same, so I photographed it.

It is defiantly palmate in leaf structure (hey, eh. I learned something). At first I thought Sycamore, but as can be seen in the close up leaf photo the concave inner sections are curved, my research sows Sycamore should be sharply angled. So then I though Field Maple, but that is a massive long shot. And my research showed the tips should be curved but the leaf image shows them to be pointy. So I'm at a loss.

If anyone can help it would be greatly appreciated.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	02.jpg 
Views:	188 
Size:	100.1 KB 
ID:	13358Click image for larger version. 

Name:	03.jpg 
Views:	190 
Size:	92.3 KB 
ID:	13359Click image for larger version. 

Name:	04.jpg 
Views:	200 
Size:	99.3 KB 
ID:	13360
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	01.jpg 
Views:	177 
Size:	99.3 KB 
ID:	13357  
    Last edited by Magicdave; 07-07-2015 at 08:26 PM. Reason: Oops, changed convex to concave.

Tribesman
    Looks like a sycamore at first glance Dave.
    A few things that would help; Are the leave alternate or in opposite pairs, are there any flowers or keys, is there a pinkish cast to the bark.

Tony
    Nobody wins, unless everybody wins

Looks more like maple to me.
    “I'm not one of those complicated, mixed-up cats. I'm not looking for the secret to life.... I just go on from day to day, taking what comes.” ~Frank Sinatra~

" Nessmuk " says:
    " We do not go to the woods to rough it ; we go to
    smooth it — we get it rough enough in town. But
    let us live the simple, natural life in the woods, and

Tribesman
    I would probably agree bikebum, the tricky bit is deciding which Acer it is.

Norway Maple, Acer platanoides .
    https://gobotany.newenglandwild.org/...r/platanoides/

Very common street tree here in the Eastern US. It is European, but has become naturalised here.
    My blog, New England Bushcraft

"Give me six hours to chop down a tree, and I will spend the first four sharpening the axe."
    ~ Abraham Lincoln

"Be prepared, not scared."
    ~ Cody Lundin

One with Nature
    "Always remember, no matter where you go there you are."
    hello,
    We've got a few of these growing nearby where I live. Ones due to be felled so guess who's in there with the Bahco Laplander? Already a Sycamore down & being processed so WIP bow fire drill & board maybe a Kuksa as the piece of branch I have in mind ear marked is just the right size. Thanks for the I.D
    Regards
    David

Tribesman
    ^^ wasn`t aware we had a I D.
    According to the Collins Tree guide, Norway maple (Acer platanoides) does not appear in Britain.

Not a Sycamore - leaves are wrong in shape and how they "hang".

Field Maple is a small tree with small leaves - at their biggest they would fit on - um, a rich tea biscuit (one of the cheap small ones).

My thought is Field Maple - widely planted as an ornamental - especially as an "estate tree" (country, rather than council) - hence found in cemetery.

According to the Collins Tree guide, Norway maple (Acer platanoides) does not appear in Britain.
    Not as a native, but the are widley planted I assure you.

One with Nature
    "Always remember, no matter where you go there you are."
    hello,
    We have a number of non native species planted as both ornamental sometime ago & gifted to the area as part of a project in recent years *estate trees as per link details which were planted along both the avenue & a local project in the nearby area by both the local authority & the Countryside & Woodland Trust.
    Regards
    David

Quote Originally Posted by Blundstoned Love View Post
    Not a Sycamore - leaves are wrong in shape and how they "hang".
    Field Maple is a small tree with small leaves - at their biggest they would fit on - um, a rich tea biscuit (one of the cheap small ones).
    My thought is Field Maple - widely planted as an ornamental - especially as an "estate tree" (country, rather than council) - hence found in cemetery.
    Not as a native, but the are widley planted I assure you.

Thanks for all the info. I've been real busy lately, I'll need to take it all in and get back out to check it out. I did stumble across something that indicated some sort of maple of the leaf pattern, but I have it bookmarked ready to look further into.

However, sadly most of the cut down tree is cracked, or cracks very quickly when the bark is removed. But what I can use has some of the most beautiful grain/spalting. I'll post some bowl/spoon pics soon.