Thread: First knives

First knives

Hi all, i've recently made a couple of knives and sheaths.I would attach some pics but can't figure out how to reduce file size yet so it keeps failing.DURR! I'm quite pleased with the outcome but my biggest concern is the heat treatment. I've used a blow torch for both heat treat to non magnetic and to temper but not confident in consistent outcome. Would you advise sending blades away to be hardened and rockwell tested to be sure of results? ( i can't afford the proper kilns) Any advise would be very welcome. Many thanks Daz.

Heat with the torch until non magnetic as you said make sure their is no cloudy spots on the blade when heating then into warm oil. You can use the oven in your house to temper try 200c for 1 hour first any good engineering company should be able to test the blade for ya. The lower the oven temp the higher the hrc. So if the blade tests at 60 hrc on 200, 190 should give you 57 hrc or their about. If you have a knife that you are sure is tempered to 57/58 hrc you can nearly go by the sound of the blade when sharpening. You want a color like this but a bit lighter of a gold color if ya get what i mean this was a test peace i done and it was around 60 hrc Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0278.jpg 
Views:	110 
Size:	97.6 KB 
ID:	13369
    Last edited by peterbermingham; 08-07-2015 at 03:08 PM.