Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hobo Fishing

One with Nature
    "Always remember, no matter where you go there you are."

Hobo Fishing

hello,
    I was viewing this link on YouTube hobo fishing https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lXEcZZvLB8Q does anyone recognise the type of float being used as part of the set up? I've been asked by a fellow Bushcraft mate looking for small fishing float suggestions *more so the type of float within the link. I'm unsure
    Regards
    David

Samuel Hearne
    David in the video it looks like a balsa float also he does say that its a 2 bb float.

One with Nature
    hello,
    Thanks ian c .
    Regards
    David

Hello David,
    Seems like a bargain...........
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B005Q0I02...V3PCCMEF124RSN

One with Nature
    hello,
    Peaks thanks for the heads up link. I'm going to pop in visit my friend in town at the angling store see what's available to replenish my hobo fishing kit.
    Regards
    David
    *Edited Midas I picked up a complete set 1 of each size via a friend through the angling store same type as per your input. Going to share them with another Bushcraft forum member this week.
    Quote Originally Posted by Peaks View Post
    Hello David,
    Seems like a bargain...........http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B005Q0I02...V3PCCMEF124RSN
    Last edited by David_JAFO; 06-07-2015 at 08:24 PM.

enjoyed the vid... i bought a hobo fishing kit off 'fish' off this forum years ago and ashamed to say iv never used it... not that i would anyway as its illegal haha... ill make sure i 'dont' use it soon haha....

Quote Originally Posted by shepherd View Post
    enjoyed the vid... i bought a hobo fishing kit off 'fish' off this forum years ago and ashamed to say iv never used it... not that i would anyway as its illegal haha... ill make sure i 'dont' use it soon haha....
    One like this? I bought mine from fish's US partner and used it out at Umstead state park after checking NC fins & fur regulations and had a great time fishing off the bridge. I landed a nice 2-3lb Bream with it on a tiny cork bobber and bread wrapped round the hook, a few pieces of bread to temp them and then cast and he grabbed the hook almost instantly. I can recommend you 'don't' use it again soon...great time without a rod.

Sorry for the stock photo, my camera has decided to die on me.
    Sent via wood pigeon from the Devon woods.

One with Nature
    hello,
    I believe you I've never had any problems using my hobo reels (touch wood for luck). There are a few spots that 'are' monitored nearby but I don't go anywhere near there. I was out with some lads & their carers last year teaching Bushcraft skills hobo fishing using plastic bottles tin cans etc.. took along my wooden reels for use & as a demo. I'm replenishing my hobo reel kit & looking for some proper peacock quill floats for another Bushcrafters tackle box, I'll have to pop across to the fishing emporium check their stocks soon.
    Regards
    David

Quote Originally Posted by shepherd View Post

Quote Originally Posted by TarHeelBrit View Post
    One like this?

yes that exact one

and spot on david,,, i shouldnt think id have much bother 'round here.. but you never know! as you say - "touch wood!"

One with Nature
    hello,
    Shepherd when I go out to hone my skills or know I'm going to be near some good fishing spots, I occasionally carry my hobo reel. I was only stopped once on a stretch of the Clyde a long-time ago, the Park Ranger was interested in the hobo reel, why I was using it, he hadn't seen one was very curious. I gave him a demo & as always 'catch & release' he allowed me to carry on without issue. Most places I go for Bushcraft are out in the sticks a few reservoirs & burns which aren't monitored.
    Regards
    David