Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hobo Fishing

Quote Originally Posted by David_JAFO View Post
    hello,
    Shepherd when I go out to hone my skills or know I'm going to be near some good fishing spots, I occasionally carry my hobo reel. I was only stopped once on a stretch of the Clyde a long-time ago, the Park Ranger was interested in the hobo reel, why I was using it, he hadn't seen one was very curious. I gave him a demo & as always 'catch & release' he allowed me to carry on without issue. Most places I go for Bushcraft are out in the sticks a few reservoirs & burns which aren't monitored.
    Regards
    David
    thats cool, and lucky he wasnt a jobs worth! ... ill only be using it in spots where im the gamekeeper at first so im sure i wont tell myself off!... but may have to be abit stealthy when im else where!

Samuel Hearne
    I have used my Hobo kit quite a bit and most of the places I have used it have been in the middle of no where, I have used hand lines when on deployment or exercises and would always have one in my kit even now I am a Civvy.

Quote Originally Posted by ian c View Post
    I have used my Hobo kit quite a bit and most of the places I have used it have been in the middle of no where, I have used hand lines when on deployment or exercises and would always have one in my kit even now I am a Civvy.

what sizes of fish have you dealt with on a hobo line mate?

One with Nature
    "Always remember, no matter where you go there you are."
    hello,
    Shepherd it's the Anglers Federation that stock the rivers that have more of a gripe. The stretch of water nearby I avoid it has been netted by Polish Immigrants eating the Pike stocks near depleted in some areas, there's loads of notices up in both English & Polish about fishing. My favourite runs are off the Scottish rivers from the East the Almond, Calder, to the West the Clyde, & Avon they're mostly burns (streams) with wild Brown Trout & Salmon. I always like to hone the hobo (hand reel) fishing in a knowledge that if I'm in need of sustenance I have the ability to catch a fish using this method & self made lures. One of the best laughs I had this is true BTW.. was a old poacher I knew by the name of Arthur. He took his grandson young Tam on a Salmon poaching trip up on some Scottish river up North. Arthur forded the river to a better spot & left young Tam on the opposite bank playing. He was sitting on Arthur's Barbour Jacket & along came the Gamekeepers. They enquired what young Tam was doing on his own? he pointed across to Arthur who was trying to hide his poaching rod etc.. & young Tam pulled back the Barbour jacket & revealed a couple of large Salmon he told the Gamekeeper, "He was keeping them warm for his Papa.." The Gamekeepers were laughing & summoned Arthur over they let him off with a caution for giving them such a good laugh.
    Regards
    David

Quote Originally Posted by shepherd View Post
    that's cool, and lucky he wasn't a jobs worth! ... ill only be using it in spots where im the gamekeeper at first so im sure i wont tell myself off!... but may have to be abit stealthy when im else where!
    Last edited by David_JAFO; 11-01-2016 at 06:09 AM.

Great story :

Samuel Hearne
    Hi Shepard I have had anything from a gudgeon to trout also use my hand lines for sea fishing as well and I have had mainly mackeral but have been very lucky and caught a lobster on a hand line as well, the biggest I have had was a salmon and that weighed about 12lb, I use mackerel traces when I know they are about and have had good results.

Haha that's brilliant David

We also had a problem with some polish chaps at my spot. They were catching carp in some of our ponds and knocking them on the head and taking home for supper - big carp that were strictly catch and realise. Some very big ones too! The local lads who had been catching them for years were furious. We spoke to the polish lads and they had no idea they were doing anything wrong and have now stopped. They were very apologetic. Can't say I fancy eating a muddy mirror carp mind you!

Quote Originally Posted by ian c View Post
    Hi Shepard I have had anything from a gudgeon to trout also use my hand lines for sea fishing as well and I have had mainly mackeral but have been very lucky and caught a lobster on a hand line as well, the biggest I have had was a salmon and that weighed about 12lb, I use mackerel traces when I know they are about and have had good results.
    That's awesome. This threAd had made me very eager to get out with my hobo line now!!