Thread: Knife sharpening advice

Knife sharpening advice

Hi all, i'm after your views on knife sharpening. I've seen and heard a few different ideas of how fine to go on grit levels to sharpen a bushcraft knife. Some polish to something like 6000 grit and others say a 600 grit (cheap diamond block) then stropped is enough. Some say you want to remove micro teeth from edge others say they help give bite to the blade. Your views would be great and very helpful. Atb , Daz.

Go with the first if you want silly sharp, but the latter will certainlyt give you a good, working edge that will be more than good enough. Plus it will get you strarted in a cheap way with knife sharpening, and you will learn the skill. Then you can advance to the super silly, scary sharp stuff later if you feel that you must :-)
    Victory awaits the one, that has everything in order - luck we call it
    Defeat is an absolute consequense for the one that have neglected to do the necessary preparations - bad luck we call it
    (Roald Amundsen)

Bumbling Bushcraft on Youtube
    Nordisk Bushcraft - The Nordic bushcraft blog and forum

Thanks for your reply. It's good to know both will work, i'm happy to just have a good practical working edge that performs well without faff as long as it's not at the cost of having to re sharpen every five minutes! Cheers again, atb Daz.

I did fine for a few years with some emery paper glued to a smooth board. I think I had a 400, 600 and 1000 grit. cost me £1.20 plus the glue.

Samuel Hearne
    I have a few sharpening stones that I use and when out hunting, fishing ect I have a diamond wet stone and a pen sized steel (small version of a butchers steel) and I can put a good edge on my tools with them if I am carrying a parang or machete I will carry a small chainsaw file.

Quote Originally Posted by Pootle View Post
    I did fine for a few years with some emery paper glued to a smooth board. I think I had a 400, 600 and 1000 grit. cost me £1.20 plus the glue.
    Going to give this a shot.

I currently just use a DC 4, and a DC 3 in the field. But I'm always on the lookout for something light weight. Might glue the paper to the lid of my bottle or some other piece of gear.

Quote Originally Posted by Romanista77 View Post
    Going to give this a shot.

I currently just use a DC 4, and a DC 3 in the field. But I'm always on the lookout for something light weight. Might glue the paper to the lid of my bottle or some other piece of gear.
    Not a bad idea. maybe a piece glued to the underside of a tin or similar would work. bottle lid might work but would be very small.

I have a sharpening stone , my grandfather left it to me ,maybe it's not sharp enough,but I have collect it in my box for many years.