Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ponchos?

Ponchos?

Any recommendations for Ponchos?

I still have a Gas Cape thingy and, yes, it is very strong and well made but it is heavy

Any suggestions for a light weight Poncho that is reasonably well made and preferably Green or similar in colour. If it is made of ripstop nylon then so much the better
    Only my dog can judge me

http://www.devilark.com.au/

Mine is a Mil-tec, bough it from CamoOutdoors in Ireland. At the time, they only had ACU pattern available, but I picked one up anyway. Compared to the surplus military ponchos, it is much lighter. Later on I bought a Swiss Army poncho, and that was a beast in bulk and weight...it weighed more than my DD 3x3! But it wasn't a completely wasted purchase. I cut it up into pieces and stitched together a pair of gaiters for me and Jim (bikebum75), and I still have leftover material.

The Mil-tec is ripstop nylon, and now it comes in flecktarn .
    My blog, New England Bushcraft

"Give me six hours to chop down a tree, and I will spend the first four sharpening the axe."
    ~ Abraham Lincoln

"Be prepared, not scared."
    ~ Cody Lundin

Not sure what mine is, but it packs down pretty small and weighs very little. Goty it on ebay, and comes in US woodland camo pattern, and was delivered with a little bag to keep it in. and I never use it. The wetaher here is so uncertain that if I am not allready wearing gore tex when I go out, it certainly stays in the pack. Could probably use one as a tarp to sit under during stops, but I am too lazy to set one up, and if it gest so bad I would need one, I go home... he he
    Victory awaits the one, that has everything in order - luck we call it
    Defeat is an absolute consequense for the one that have neglected to do the necessary preparations - bad luck we call it
    (Roald Amundsen)

Bumbling Bushcraft on Youtube
    Nordisk Bushcraft - The Nordic bushcraft blog and forum

Trapper
    Beautiful North Yorkshire Coast - love it
    I bought a cheap one from ebay and I have found it too small for a truly useful tarp and I have never had to wear it as a poncho as I haven't needed to. Plus okay I would be worried about what I looked like! I have had a few more ideas around its use lately though, more like a micro tarp covering my upper area with a bivi - just to provide a bit of dry space to store stuff and well to use like a porch.
    On a planet that increasingly resembles one huge Maximum Security prison, the only intelligent choice is to plan a jail break.

Robert Anton Wilson

Samuel Hearne
    How about upgrading from your gas cape (37 patt poncho) to a 58 pattern poncho with a hood in middle of it, it was used for many years by the British Army it is bigger than the 37 pattern and about half the weight, also it is green in colour and made out of nylon.
    Last edited by ian c; 23-06-2015 at 11:09 PM.

Poncho is heavy ,it covers your backpack. I would like to bring a waterproof jacket and trousers rather than poncho.

Quote Originally Posted by OakAshandThorn View Post
    Mine is a Mil-tec
    I have the same one, good product.

Use it for 4 years and still fine. I added some string to make a tarp at night.
    English isn't my mother tongue so pliz correct me if i'm wrong, thx !

One with Nature
    "Always remember, no matter where you go there you are."
    hello,
    Poncho's our NBCUK & BCUSA friend/member Susanne has made an entry review on YouTube of the Polish Infantry poncho. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dxk-3EyAIBU I have used the Polish NATO issue in past years on exercise to great effect & can recommend such. Thanks Susanne as always for the informative YouTube presentation. I can also recommend the other NATO poncho's I've used including US Woodland & the German Flektarn & O.G patterns.
    Regards
    David

I was just coming on here to ask this very same question. After something that packs small and will act as a tarp too. The replies have given me something to go on, thanks all.

I had a poncho a number of years ago. I was wearing it in a downpour (just a day trip) and started to think how I would go setting it up as a tarp if I was out overnight. From then I decided it wasn't a viable option as multi-use rainwear and tarp. Was I missing anything, is there a good way to go about this?