Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ponchos?

Quote Originally Posted by Magicdave View Post
    I had a poncho a number of years ago. I was wearing it in a downpour (just a day trip) and started to think how I would go setting it up as a tarp if I was out overnight. From then I decided it wasn't a viable option as multi-use rainwear and tarp. Was I missing anything, is there a good way to go about this?
    There is a way but it ain't cheap.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LxGGavcczWU
    Victory awaits the one, that has everything in order - luck we call it
    Defeat is an absolute consequense for the one that have neglected to do the necessary preparations - bad luck we call it
    (Roald Amundsen)

Bumbling Bushcraft on Youtube
    Nordisk Bushcraft - The Nordic bushcraft blog and forum

There is a way but it ain't cheap.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LxGGavcczWU
    Wow, that looks fantastic. Thanks for the link.

Those are standard issie in the Norwegian army, and also used by mountain rescue and other SAR teams in Norway. They are so common now that it is recomended kit on any
    venture into the wild here.

Last winter there was a a dog sled race for youth in the mountains in the south. They where surpriced by a blizzard, and one of the participants, a 14 year old girl did not make it back...she survived by going into the Jerven, and was able to wait out the storm. Conditions where so hard that the rescue crue sent out on snowscooters to get her down from the hills (They knew her location from GPS tracking) had to give up reaching her and had to go to ground in their Jerven bags too...they all came trough with no injuries. Yes it's definately worth having. But I paid 250£ for mine, 10 years ago.

That has been with me to Iraq, Sudan, Eritrea and Sri Lanka as my sleeping bag and sun tarp :-)
    Victory awaits the one, that has everything in order - luck we call it
    Defeat is an absolute consequense for the one that have neglected to do the necessary preparations - bad luck we call it
    (Roald Amundsen)

Bumbling Bushcraft on Youtube
    Nordisk Bushcraft - The Nordic bushcraft blog and forum

The one I bought from TW Hammocks last year is a great bit of kit. Its made from ripstop nylon and can be also used as a tarp. Green in colour and folds down to nothing. Think I paid £17.00 for it at the time. I have just checked their site and none are in stock. That doesn't mean that he hasn't got any though. Might be worth sending an email to them if you are interested.