Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Best fuel for Trangia type stove?

Whisky !!

So you can use it for other ... occupation
    English isn't my mother tongue so pliz correct me if i'm wrong, thx !

im not a huge fan of trangia's myself, but have used them in the past, and cant really go wrong with purple meths.

they kick out alot of fumes, so dont use them in a confined space

One with Nature
    "Always remember, no matter where you go there you are."
    hello,
    Slightly I received in the post (free of charge) a pack of 4 Trangia gel burners they come complete with lids. I think I know who sent them it was either Trangia or the Mountaineer store? this requires confirmation. These are an alternative burner for use with fuels such as gels (Vango fuel), solid fuel blocks or nightlight candles. Approximate burn time for 1 litre of water in still wind conditions - 7 minutes. This gel burner is compatible with Trangia cooker series 25 & 27, Spirit Stove, Mini Trangia & can also be used as a stand-alone burner with a Trangia triangle. *I also have a Trangia triangle. These tins could be useful for making char cloth or tinder boxes. I have a few steel strikers that fit inside (tried & tested).
    Regards
    David

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image 1.jpg 
Views:	132 
Size:	63.7 KB 
ID:	13715

Name:	Image 2.jpg 
Views:	114 
Size:	81.4 KB 
ID:	13716

Name:	Image 3.jpg 
Views:	122 
Size:	83.5 KB 
ID:	13717

They are made for denatured or methylated spirits, so that is the best fuel for them...
    Victory awaits the one, that has everything in order - luck we call it
    Defeat is an absolute consequense for the one that have neglected to do the necessary preparations - bad luck we call it
    (Roald Amundsen)

Bumbling Bushcraft on Youtube
    Nordisk Bushcraft - The Nordic bushcraft blog and forum

On another side note the gel fuel is a lot less efficient. I bought the Fuel4 stove for my son some time ago as a safer alternative to the meths burner but it likes to burn a fair amount of the stuff. I believe Vango now manufacture the stuff as opposed to Fuel4 as I haven't seen their brand for a while.

Gas. Trangias that run on gas are by far the best. You just know it makes sense rather than faffing with meths and bioethanol and other liquid things that will inevitably leak when you least need them to!

Between Savernake forest and Avebury stone circle
    Quote Originally Posted by CheddarMan View Post
    Gas. Trangias that run on gas are by far the best. You just know it makes sense rather than faffing with meths and bioethanol and other liquid things that will inevitably leak when you least need them to!
    Unless it's winter, of course....
    Then Gas is as useful as a chocolate teapot

Quote Originally Posted by Woody View Post
    Unless it's winter, of course....
    Then Gas is as useful as a chocolate teapot
    Yeah right!

If you are camping below -42 then you may have a point. There are different types of gas cartridge, butane, propane or butane/propane mix. Simply get the mixed cylinder and you will be good to temperatures that will normally mean you won't be camping. If you are going to the Antarctic or up Everest then just take propane (because that is what they do.)

Gas is efficient, clean, easy to carry, easily available, cheap, doesn't leak....hardly chocolate teapot territory! It also powers half the countries central heating in the cold weather!

Fair enough cheddarman, to be honest I'm not even qualified to argue a point on this subject, I just went with previous comments on various other threads , stating that gas doesn't like cold weather...

Personally, I don't use it...
    First choice for me is wood, free and (almost)always available where I go!

... but if not available then it's denatured alcohol, hex, meths or similar, but I avoid it as I don't like the fumes...

Twopence...

Quote Originally Posted by FishyFolk View Post
    They are made for denatured or methylated spirits, so that is the best fuel for them...
    What he said....