Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Best fuel for Trangia type stove?

Quote Originally Posted by CheddarMan View Post
    Yeah right!

If you are camping below -42 then you may have a point. There are different types of gas cartridge, butane, propane or butane/propane mix. Simply get the mixed cylinder and you will be good to temperatures that will normally mean you won't be camping. If you are going to the Antarctic or up Everest then just take propane (because that is what they do.)

Gas is efficient, clean, easy to carry, easily available, cheap, doesn't leak....hardly chocolate teapot territory! It also powers half the countries central heating in the cold weather!
    They start to be unrealiable from around -5*C. You can faff around with turning the canister upside down and such, but personally I can't be bothered and bring out my parrafine burners from that stage.
    Else the trangia style burners are fine if all you do is heating some water for a brew or to re-hydrate som freeze drieds. Takes up very little space too if just for a day out.

The far worst I think is the small wood burning stoves...the need constant feeding and watching...turn you back to them and they burn out + you need a source of dry fuel...try doing that on any given weekend in Norrthern norway...
    Victory awaits the one, that has everything in order - luck we call it
    Defeat is an absolute consequense for the one that have neglected to do the necessary preparations - bad luck we call it
    (Roald Amundsen)

Bumbling Bushcraft on Youtube
    Nordisk Bushcraft - The Nordic bushcraft blog and forum

Quote Originally Posted by Woody View Post
    Unless it's winter, of course....
    Then Gas is as useful as a chocolate teapot
    No, gas is can be OK. The cheap Butane burners are crap once temps get down to +5c or lower. Most standard gas canisters use the Lindal thread and are a mix of Propane and Butane. Becoming more common are cans with a mix of Butane, Propane and Isobutane which will work better in cold even sub zero temps.

Its very easy to fit a multi fuel burner into Trangia stove, I've used Primus Omnifuel stoves and the cheap 'Booster' stoves in them, both will burn paraffin (kerosene Fishy), Coleman and cans of gas...10.000 B.T.U.'s of power will cook fast but you can also simmer well with these stoves.

If your running the tri mix gas it pays to flip the can upside down to help feed the fuel in sub zero temps.

I'll dig out some photo's to show more what I mean.
    Richard
    South Wales UK

Quote Originally Posted by rik_uk3 View Post
    No, gas is can be OK. The cheap Butane burners are crap once temps get down to +5c or lower. Most standard gas canisters use the Lindal thread and are a mix of Propane and Butane. Becoming more common are cans with a mix of Butane, Propane and Isobutane which will work better in cold even sub zero temps.

Its very easy to fit a multi fuel burner into Trangia stove, I've used Primus Omnifuel stoves and the cheap 'Booster' stoves in them, both will burn paraffin (kerosene Fishy), Coleman and cans of gas...10.000 B.T.U.'s of power will cook fast but you can also simmer well with these stoves.

If your running the tri mix gas it pays to flip the can upside down to help feed the fuel in sub zero temps.

I'll dig out some photo's to show more what I mean.
    Trangia makes a multifuel stove that burns parafine, white gas and gas (Butane/propane)

The mixed canisters are the only one you can find here. Most people go for a multifuel burner in Norway, and use
    gas in the summer and parrafine in winter, alcohol stoves are not used by many. U only us ethem becaouse gas canisters take to much space in my
    go-bag. I have jet boil and have never even once used it on a trip.

The cheap gas burners are acyually quite good, for summer use. But they lack a preheating pipe. So useless in winter. But nice in the suymmer when you wake up in the hammock and just want to get a brew up.

Basically they all have their use, and I simply us ethe one that will do the job I require of it.
    Victory awaits the one, that has everything in order - luck we call it
    Defeat is an absolute consequense for the one that have neglected to do the necessary preparations - bad luck we call it
    (Roald Amundsen)

Bumbling Bushcraft on Youtube
    Nordisk Bushcraft - The Nordic bushcraft blog and forum

Your right about a pre heat pipe, but the Primus Omnifuel works fine without one.

The 'Booster' Clones on ebay http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Outdoor-Po...EAAOSwr41XHv4e have a pre heat pipe, work really easily on Aspen/Coleman fuel, give them a good prime and they will run paraffin.

Like the Omnifuel, the Booster only needs one screw in the base removing which frees the burner unit which you can then screw onto a Trangia adapter and just fit in your stove.
    Richard
    South Wales UK

Denatured alcohol found in the paint section I most hardware stores. Also known as fuel for marine stoves
    “I'm not one of those complicated, mixed-up cats. I'm not looking for the secret to life.... I just go on from day to day, taking what comes.” ~Frank Sinatra~

" Nessmuk " says:
    " We do not go to the woods to rough it ; we go to
    smooth it — we get it rough enough in town. But
    let us live the simple, natural life in the woods, and