Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Alone

Natural Born Bushcrafter Valantine's Avatar

Alone

Starts Wednesday 24 June 10pm History Channel

Ten survival experts are dropped off in separate and extremely remote locations on Northern Vancouver Island. Equipped with only limited gear, their years of wilderness experience and supplied with cameras to self-document their journeys, the men are completely isolated from one another as they struggle to live in the wild for as long as they can.

If there are no women around and a man says something, is he still wrong?

Samuel Hearne
    I think I will have to put it onto record so I don't forget.

May you know Mitch from Native Survival ?
    He's part from these episodes.

Here is his ad :

English isn't my mother tongue so pliz correct me if i'm wrong, thx !

I don't get the History channel on FreeSat (AFAIK). Boo!

Thanks, I'll series record it,
    Campfires are best shared with friends.

Mitch lost a lot of subscribers (including me) on youtube for doing this.
    Whilst these outdoor survivalist shows may be entertaining to watch, they are only really for entertainment and do not reflect honest, down-to-Earth skills. I know this isn't as messed up as Discovery, but an actual documentary series on survival skills and outdoor knowledge is not something the show producer wants to film. If you are a participant in these sorts of shows, you have little say in the matter - the producer gets final say, and if that entails lots of drama and faked events/scenes, then that's what will happen...unless you walk away and cancel your contract. Knowing all this and what happened to Cody Lundin with Discovery, I would never be a participant in such nonsense, even if they offered $$$$$. It just isn't accurate and gives the wrong impression to viewers, most of whom are gullible.

I don't think Mitch is a bad person, I've never met the man so I cannot say, but his straying from a practical outdoor skills youtube channel to the world of TV has lost my interest.
    My blog, New England Bushcraft

"Give me six hours to chop down a tree, and I will spend the first four sharpening the axe."
    ~ Abraham Lincoln

"Be prepared, not scared."
    ~ Cody Lundin

Trapper
    Beautiful North Yorkshire Coast - love it
    Aargh 21st century TV have no time at all for it! Even more annoying when it's supposed to be covering a subject close to your heart. Struggle to see where the entertainment comes in to be honest...

As a child of the 70s "Why don't you..." springs to mind - though that was pants too!
    On a planet that increasingly resembles one huge Maximum Security prison, the only intelligent choice is to plan a jail break.

Robert Anton Wilson

Hi Guys

I haven't got the history channel so I`ve never seen this show,

However id do believe that having any Outdoors/Bushcraft type programs on TV is a bonus,

Its one of the easiest ways to inspire new people to try what we do and love,

I have an 11 year old daughter who comes on walks/camps etc with me and the reason she started coming is because
    she loves watching Bear Grylls on the Tv (I`m assuming a similar type of show to this one),

I know there are much more factual shows about Bushcraft etc on Tv and Youtube but that doesn't seem to stimulate an 11 year olds
    mind in the same way that a less factual but more exciting show does,

And I think that anything that gets kids/people more in touch with the outdoors is a wonderful thing!

Cheers
    Adrian
    Last edited by Aij29; 29-06-2015 at 07:53 AM.

Trapper
    Beautiful North Yorkshire Coast - love it
    Quote Originally Posted by Aij29 View Post
    And I think that anything that gets kids/people more in touch with the outdoors is a wonderful thing!
    Good point - I get grumpy about TV sorry
    On a planet that increasingly resembles one huge Maximum Security prison, the only intelligent choice is to plan a jail break.

Robert Anton Wilson