Thread: Ready to train.

Ready to train.

Going out for a SAR exersice tomorrow. So packed up and ready to go. And found out that I need a slightly larger backpack.

The one I am using for tomorrow is a a 35 litre. But with a 1 litre flask of hot water (required), my 24 hr food ration pack, an fleece sweater (still not seeing double digit temps here), a shemagh, basic FAK, a 1 litre camelbak bottle of energy drink, and my Jerven survival bag...that thing is bursting. So need to find me a cheap but good 50 litre pack. I got a 60 litre but it is heavy and total overkill...I'll just start to load up on crap I do not need...

ANyway on the excercise it will be us, the local rescue dog association, the coast guard, civil defence units, the red cross, and the police.
    The aim is to train coop between all those, plus give us on the ground some cases to work trough during the day, so gonna be fun :-)
    Victory awaits the one, that has everything in order - luck we call it
    Defeat is an absolute consequense for the one that have neglected to do the necessary preparations - bad luck we call it
    (Roald Amundsen)

Bumbling Bushcraft on Youtube
    Nordisk Bushcraft - The Nordic bushcraft blog and forum

Samuel Hearne
    Have a good time learning different skills from the exercise, and let us all know how it was.

Trapper
    Beautiful North Yorkshire Coast - love it
    I have 3-4 packs and none are ever just right for a trip! Good luck and enjoy yourself - I might sneak out later with my jerven bag thoroughly impressed with that so far.
    On a planet that increasingly resembles one huge Maximum Security prison, the only intelligent choice is to plan a jail break.

Robert Anton Wilson

Tell us how it went when you get back.
    “If the apple won't fall - go shake the tree.”
    ― Isaac Newton

Good luck Rune.

Learn loads, stay safe and tell us all about it when you get back.

Had a really good day of training.

The scenario was that asmall boat with 5 people aboard had left a boat festival on on of the Islands at 5 in the morning, with 5 people aboard. They where reported missing when failing to reach their destination.
    Also they where presumed to be under the influence of alcohol...

So the Norwegian Peoples Aid (NPAID), the The Red Cross Mountain Rescue, Norwegian SAR dogs, The local SAR rescue boat, a boat from the local fire station, the harbour masters boat crew plus the Coast guard was called out for the search.

NPAID, Red Cross and SAR dogs did a beach search on the main island, plus all the minor islands and islets in the sound. On shore we did a search using the SAR dogs Red Cross and NPAID.

HQ was set on the Coast Guard vessel "KV Heimdal", and basically they coordinated all the boats involved, and their medical facilities where also used :-)

2 people where found and rescued from the water off one of the smalle islands, and 2 where found by NPAID and red croop teams in coop with the dog handlers. The last one was found by a search line (I.e we fomed a long line and combed the beach and the forest directly beyond the beach area.

I was trusted with comms for our team, so I had a great day refreshing my rusty comms skills. Been a few years allready since I worked with comms :-)

Helped find one victim, performed first aid and helped with the evac.

Very good debrief after so very impressed with som many participants from a wide variety of emergency services and SAR groups.

SOme pictures:

Briefing prior to deployment, I am the fat dude with the beard in the fore ground.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	11392878_10153441098013156_3403358589050913516_o.jpg 
Views:	223 
Size:	100.1 KB 
ID:	13303

Waiting with some of the team

Name:	DSC_0263.jpg 
Views:	212 
Size:	96.2 KB 
ID:	13304

Search along the shore underway. Dog handler in dark clothes.dog somewher ein all that green.

Name:	DSC_0264.jpg 
Views:	225 
Size:	98.2 KB 
ID:	13305

A more thorough search method was used to find the last missing person. He had taken shelter under a boat.

Name:	11539052_10153441098863156_1745546812776091894_o.jpg 
Views:	213 
Size:	99.1 KB 
ID:	13306

Last victim found. I am the dude in the black baseball cap. We are preparing to get him into a Jerven bag to keep the body temp up, and to transport him out on a back board.

Name:	11416299_10153441098023156_8459865744316934365_o.jpg 
Views:	244 
Size:	98.5 KB 
ID:	13307

The evac, I am the last of the people doing the stretcher carrying.

Name:	11402827_10153441099793156_5777909226994472348_o.jpg 
Views:	209 
Size:	99.4 KB 
ID:	13308

We were transported around by boat :-)

Name:	DSC_0266.jpg 
Views:	206 
Size:	95.3 KB 
ID:	13309

And the coast guard was a big help, here allong the side of the KV Heimdal, coast guard vessel.

Name:	DSC_0269.jpg 
Views:	211 
Size:	96.7 KB 
ID:	13310
    Defeat is an absolute consequense for the one that have neglected to do the necessary preparations - bad luck we call it
    (Roald Amundsen)

Some of the other boats involved

Name:	11018779_10153441098728156_9081535910862019550_o.jpg 
Views:	227 
Size:	97.1 KB 
ID:	13311
    (Roald Amundsen)

Trapper
    Beautiful North Yorkshire Coast - love it
    Wow now that looks like the perfect combination of good times and education
    On a planet that increasingly resembles one huge Maximum Security prison, the only intelligent choice is to plan a jail break.

Robert Anton Wilson

That looks like a lot of fun with a serious purpose. Jealousy will get me nowhere!
    “If the apple won't fall - go shake the tree.”
    ― Isaac Newton