Thread: How to put up polish lavvu poncho tent

How to put up polish lavvu poncho tent

I've got a used lavvu off ebay without instructions or pole (going to use a hiking stick).
    Just trying to put it up for the first time & I'm unsure on how the peak is held together, I'm just ending up with a skylight haha

If there are no women around and a man says something, is he still wrong?

Trapper
    Beautiful North Yorkshire Coast - love it
    The top of one of the halves (hood part) sits nicely within the other when you button them together
    On a planet that increasingly resembles one huge Maximum Security prison, the only intelligent choice is to plan a jail break.

Robert Anton Wilson

Thanks guys. Still a bit confused about pitching & is it inside out or not lol but today I'm have a day of tent cleaning (just got back from willowman festival!) so had a good go at it. Must say it's a fantastic tent! Just enough space to lay out in, warm & Nice & dark, blocking out most of the light

Now that this is cleared up, I jsut want to confuse you folks a little.

These tents are not Lavvus. If you ever try to suggest that to people who actually live in Lavvus they will probably laugh themselves silly. At worse they will feel insulted, as it is a symbol of Sami culture.
    The sdame goes for the commercial product sold as lavvus, with only one pole in the center to hold them up. These are called lavvus for marketing purposes, but have no basis in Sami culture at all.The only thing these have in common with a real lavvu is the overall shape.But to call it a Lavvu based on the sahpe is really like taking an orange, and calling it an apple because both are round.

A lavvu is a tent where the sheets have been stretched over a frame, just like a tipi. The difference between a tipi and a lavvu is only how the poles are placed really.

"There are several historical references that describe the lavvu structure (also called a kota, or a variation on this name) used by the Sami. These structures have the following in common:[1][2][3][4][5]

1) The lavvu is supported by three or more evenly spaced forked or notched poles that form a tripod.

2) There are upwards of ten or more unsecured straight poles that are laid up against the tripod and which give form to the structure.

3) The lavvu does not need any stakes, guy-wire or ropes to provide shape or stability to the structure.

4) The shape and volume of the lavvu is determined by the size and quantity of the poles that are used for the structure.

5) There is no center pole needed to support this structure.

No historical record has come to light that describes the Sami using a single-pole structure claimed to be a lavvu, or any other Scandinavian variant name for the structure. The definition and description of this structure has been fairly consistent since the 17th century and possibly many centuries earlier.

The goahti, also used by the Sami, has a different pole configuration. While trees suitable to make lavvu poles are quite easy to find and often left at the site for later use, the four curved poles of the goahti have to be carried. " (Wikipedia)
    Victory awaits the one, that has everything in order - luck we call it
    Defeat is an absolute consequense for the one that have neglected to do the necessary preparations - bad luck we call it
    (Roald Amundsen)

Bumbling Bushcraft on Youtube
    Nordisk Bushcraft - The Nordic bushcraft blog and forum

Leave it to Rune to confuzzle us even more lol
    But seriously, good to know all that...thanks .
    My blog, New England Bushcraft

"Give me six hours to chop down a tree, and I will spend the first four sharpening the axe."
    ~ Abraham Lincoln

"Be prepared, not scared."
    ~ Cody Lundin

Trapper
    Beautiful North Yorkshire Coast - love it
    I knew this already! I don't feel quite as daft as I usually do! I spent a couple of evenings reading about the Sami and the proper lavvu's. I do love mine though..whatever it is :P
    On a planet that increasingly resembles one huge Maximum Security prison, the only intelligent choice is to plan a jail break.

Robert Anton Wilson

Quote Originally Posted by Silkhi View Post
    I knew this already! I don't feel quite as daft as I usually do! I spent a couple of evenings reading about the Sami and the proper lavvu's. I do love mine though..whatever it is :P
    In the Norwegian army we called them button tents...we had the same thing, only the sheets where diamond shaped...each soldier carried one sheet, a tent pole, three pegs and 5 meters of guy line. And we buttoned them together to make one big tent. We heated them with the Optimus 111 stove.

Here is one that will sleep 7, and it's made from 7 sheets.

Name:  412890_fcad382293_o.jpg
Views: 8209
Size:  16.3 KBName:  7duker.jpg
Views: 6276
Size:  26.2 KB
    Last edited by FishyFolk; 25-06-2015 at 06:50 AM.
    Victory awaits the one, that has everything in order - luck we call it
    Defeat is an absolute consequense for the one that have neglected to do the necessary preparations - bad luck we call it
    (Roald Amundsen)

Bumbling Bushcraft on Youtube
    Nordisk Bushcraft - The Nordic bushcraft blog and forum