Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Second birch kuksa - this time with power tools

Second birch kuksa - this time with power tools

Progress on my second birch cup. First is big - 12 ounces for beer. This will be 6-8 for coffee. Different approach from first time where I used only hatchet, pocket knife and fire. This time I'm using table saw to rough it out and square it up. Made a few cuts and just one dumb mistake over cutting on underside where I couldn't see. Sliced handle almost in half. Forced to abandon long handle as originally sketched. Used drill holes throughout bowl, then chisel to start hollowing. I don't own a hook knife yet so the bowl is a challenge. I'm going to investigate a wood rasp bit for my drill.

Oh yeah
    My blog, New England Bushcraft

"Give me six hours to chop down a tree, and I will spend the first four sharpening the axe."
    ~ Abraham Lincoln

"Be prepared, not scared."
    ~ Cody Lundin

I'm stuck working with what I have for tools right now. A band saw would have been nice. I just picked up this little drum sander bit and rasp bit for my cordless at Lowes. About $12 total

If there are no women around and a man says something, is he still wrong?

Got this far tonight using the two drill bits I got today and another sanding disc bit I bought to restore axe heads. The rasp does a decent job inside. I did some chisel work too. Right now it holds just under 6oz. I'm hoping to get deeper and thinner to get 8oz final.

Rotary rasp is a kick ass inexpensive tool! Just grinds up wood to hollow out that bowl. So far, after table saw I've used pocket knife, the drill bit rotary sanding tools, and a simple chisel. Feels like cheating but I want my coffee cup!

LOL Anything to get that coffee .
    My blog, New England Bushcraft

"Give me six hours to chop down a tree, and I will spend the first four sharpening the axe."
    ~ Abraham Lincoln

"Be prepared, not scared."
    ~ Cody Lundin

Getting nearer to completion. Sanded outside up to 2000 grit. One coat of flaxseed oil. Still plastic bagging to slow drying and avoid cracks. She holds about 7oz

Looks excellent!
    If there are no women around and a man says something, is he still wrong?

Looks great

Not made one yet but it won't be long as I'm waiting on a hand forged spoon and bowl knife. Wanted one for a while as I love making spoons and thought it would be a good idea to make other stuff for camp. The knife should make it much easier.