Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Safety glasses

Safety glasses

Now this is a piece of kit I've not seen talked about at all. Seems to me with all the woods work being done bits of wood chips flying about seems safety glasses even a cheapo set are highly valuable kit. I don't bring them myself as the sunglasses I have are also safety glasses and yes I do wear them when I carve. Going back I didn't but had a small bit of wood almost land in my eye never good.
    “I'm not one of those complicated, mixed-up cats. I'm not looking for the secret to life.... I just go on from day to day, taking what comes.” ~Frank Sinatra~

" Nessmuk " says:
    " We do not go to the woods to rough it ; we go to
    smooth it — we get it rough enough in town. But
    let us live the simple, natural life in the woods, and

I haven't used safety-specific glasses for woodworking outdoors or on the bench. Never really needed them, my regular bifocals kept the odd chip out of my eye... but they busted the other day, so I'll have to get another set soon.
    My blog, New England Bushcraft

"Give me six hours to chop down a tree, and I will spend the first four sharpening the axe."
    ~ Abraham Lincoln

"Be prepared, not scared."
    ~ Cody Lundin

Natural Born Bushcrafter Midge_Fodder's Avatar
    completely agree. You only get one set of eyes.
    Border Bushcrafters

Isn't it nice when someone says "that's a great piece of kit, where did you buy that", then you can modestly reply "you can't buy it, I made it myself". The moral is, it's amazing what you can achieve if you put your mind to it.

"No better burden can a man carry on the road, than a store of common sense." - Hávamál: 10

http://midgefodderbushcraft.blogspot.co.uk

Trapper
    Have a look at 3M on amazon. I've got some very Gucci looking EN rated safety specs for about £13. They are actually quite cool looking with it. Very Oakley looking. http://www.amazon.co.uk/3M-Fuel-Safe...safety+glasses
    Infamy infamy, they've all got it in for me.

Makes sense to use them IMHO
    Richard
    South Wales UK

It's a good idea to use some form of eye protection be it safety or normal glasses. I never used to until one day at camp I was chopping up some firewood and a small splinter almost got into my eye. It was just pure luck that I blinked at the precise moment the splinter hit. It stuck point first into my eyelid, I hate to think what would have been the outcome if it had stuck in my eyeball. When I got home the first thing was to buy three pairs of Uvex glasses and put a pair in each pack.
    Sent via wood pigeon from the Devon woods.

have a look on ebay at these http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bolle-Pris...gAAOSwv9hW4FpL
    Brilliant glasses after ruining a set of Oakley`s they uv protected and don`t look like safety glasses people cant believe when I say what price they are

After you have put on your safety glasses? Good lord, how was the West ever won eh? It's 'Elf and safety gawn maaaaaaad

One with Nature
    "Always remember, no matter where you go there you are."
    hello Diviy,
    not bad I had a look at the Bolle Tracker II 2 Safety Glasses Goggles - Anti Mist & Scratch - Various Lens. I agree with what you say & you can't go wrong with UV protection. These would be optional for driving your RV (campervan) with anti glare night driving.
    Regards
    David

Quote Originally Posted by diviy View Post
    have a look on ebay at these http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bolle-Pris...gAAOSwv9hW4FpL
    Brilliant glasses after ruining a set of Oakley`s they uv protected and don`t look like safety glasses people cant believe when I say what price they are

make sure you read the paperwork that comes with them, not all safety glasses are designed to be worn all day!!
    you're only young once, but immaturity lasts for ever
    4 out of 3 people struggle with maths
    there are 10 types of people, those who understand binary and those who don't