Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Whats been your worst injury in the bush?

For me:
    The usual cuts, bruises, lacerations, burns, soft tissue injuries. Always have a proper cuts kit.
    The worst field treatable thing I have had was actually a bit of frost-bite in the arctic. On my face. That took lots and lots of care and attention for days not to let it get worse.
    The worst at all was multiple injuries including dislocation - from a climbing accident. Stabilise and transport. That was IT.

What I have witnessed and been able to resolve with Field Medicine (either resolve in the Field or stabilise for transport):

Resolve:
    Heatstroke
    Hypothermia - stage 2
    Saw cut that needed Kotex - butterfly strips - glue
    Jungle rot
    Salt sores
    Frostbite
    Severe allergic reaction
    Amoebic dysentry - resolved enough to be able to walk out - HOSPITAL right away after that. Long term nastiness.

Stabilise & transport:
    Compound Tib/Fib fracture
    Spleen & other internal organ bruising after a fall
    Concussions

Field Medicine really is actually quite limited:
    If you can deal with it in the field it was probably relatively trivial.
    Cuts etc OR things you need to deal with NOW so that they don't get beyond trivial.
    (Infected wounds, frostbite, etc.)
    Anything major and you are doing Life Support and waiting...

So when you think of that.... WHICH of the things that are in your FAK will actually help?

I have:
    Cut/Burn gear
    Mild, Moderate and Serious painkiller gear - this is very important. Not just for comfort, but for functioning at all
    Serious anti-allergy gear
    Asthma inhaler (not for me but always good to have)
    Anti-diarrhea - diarrhea is dehydration. And dehydration is death.
    Travel sickness tabs
    Skin lube
    Blister gear
    Duct tape
    Piece of tubing... Many uses from tourniquet to emergency hydration
    Eye drops!!!

If in more remote areas then add:
    Anti-biotics
    Emergency Toothcare

That is it. If you can't handle it with this level of gear, you are unlikely to handle it in the field anyway....
    Last edited by susannewilliams; 24-06-2015 at 08:46 AM.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Just say NO to unnecessary suffering - https://www.youtube.com/user/susannewilliams

Oh, yeah, frostbite to feet, hands and face...but that just goes with growing up on an Arctic island at 78*N.
    Dealt wit by going inside, and being told by me dad that you should have known better, now you have to take the pain...it was a lot of pain. Don't know how I could have forgotten it.
    Victory awaits the one, that has everything in order - luck we call it
    Defeat is an absolute consequense for the one that have neglected to do the necessary preparations - bad luck we call it
    (Roald Amundsen)

Bumbling Bushcraft on Youtube
    Nordisk Bushcraft - The Nordic bushcraft blog and forum

Quote Originally Posted by FishyFolk View Post
    Oh, yeah, frostbite to feet, hands and face...but that just goes with growing up on an Arctic island at 78*N.
    Dealt wit by going inside, and being told by me dad that you should have known better, now you have to take the pain...it was a lot of pain. Don't know how I could have forgotten it.
    So so bad....

Had it on fingers and toes before too.. but the face was the worst...

OH I FORGOT... SNOWBLINDNESS ....

Now THAT is a world of Pain...

Ointment. Sunglasses. Painkillers. Whisky. Wait.

Terrible.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Just say NO to unnecessary suffering - https://www.youtube.com/user/susannewilliams