Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Whats been your worst injury in the bush?

Trapper

Whats been your worst injury in the bush?

I've been very lucky not to be injured whilst out yet, but still it pays to be prepared. I take a basic medikit and a few extra bandages. What have been some of your worst injuries and how did you deal with it in the bush? Ever had one so bad you've had to pack up and go home?

1. Knife cut in the finger... :-)
    2. Put a band aid on it...
    3. Nope

Unless I reckon the time i froze frostbite in my toes and fingers while driving a snow scooter in minus 35*C at Svalbard when I was 12...still remmeber the pain when it thawed up, at the cabin, and still have problems in the cold with feet and hands...
    Victory awaits the one, that has everything in order - luck we call it
    Defeat is an absolute consequense for the one that have neglected to do the necessary preparations - bad luck we call it
    (Roald Amundsen)

Bumbling Bushcraft on Youtube
    Nordisk Bushcraft - The Nordic bushcraft blog and forum

I have a healthy respect for axes as working tools, whose sharpened edges can cut into you just as easily as they chop efficiently into wood. With good safety techniques practiced all the time (including maintenance and sharpening), I've never been wounded using an axe.

However, I have learned over a few injuries that my Silky Pocketboy deserves the same attention to detail. Cutting through jungles of Asiatic Bittersweet can be a fun way to return vengeance on those cursed, invasive vines that cause much damage to trees and spread like wildfire...and it pays to not become a crazed vine killer wielding a light sabre. I have sliced my left index finger at least three times, the last and most recent occasion probably being the worst. It did not warrant a hospital trip, but a wrapping of gauze. Thank the Stars I keep nonstick gauze pads in my 1st aid kit, band-aids just weren't sufficient. On the plus side, because the cut was so clean, it healed quickly...and now I have a permanent scar to always remind me to slow down when using a Silky light sabre .
    My blog, New England Bushcraft

"Give me six hours to chop down a tree, and I will spend the first four sharpening the axe."
    ~ Abraham Lincoln

"Be prepared, not scared."
    ~ Cody Lundin

No injury to me, but to my nine year old daughter last year.

Just settled down for the evening and she wanted to prepare a stick for toasting marshmallows. Although she was supervised and shown many times how to use a knife, she slipped and went right through three finger above the knuckles, one right down to the bone. I grabbed her hand within a second and we bandaged her up before taking her to casualty.

The hospital was a nightmare, full of people who had far too much beer inside them and lots of people with sunburn !!. Nine hours later she came out with five stitches and her hand in a sling. Bless her, she was so, so brave and finally went to bed at quarter to seven in the morning, only for her to get up two hours later bright and ready for another day.

She hasn't been put off from outside activities but I did go straight out and buy her a butchers glove for her hand.

That sucks, chubbs. you know they're gonna cut themselves sooner or later but that sounds like a hard lesson for a nine year old!

my worst was a cut to the skin between thumb and forefinger. I was cutting willow with secateurs to make charcoal sticks with. I slipped and snipped the skin with the secs. stupidly I didn't have a cuts kit with me so I used some willow bark to patch it up till I got home. That worked quite well actually so at least I learned a new trick.

Samuel Hearne
    I took the top of my knuckle off my first finger of my left hand when I was in Canada and had to have it stitched back into place, I first bandaged it up till I could get to the Medic which was about 4 hrs later he nearly passed out looking at it, I was then taken to med centre where it was stitched and the medic had to leave the room when the Dr started to sew it up as he threw up.

Trapper
    Beautiful North Yorkshire Coast - love it
    I have cut myself through wayward sawing a couple of times nothing bad easy to patch up. May have involved alcohol...

Did also slip and fall on wet rocks resulting in bruising and a few grazes. Very painful shocked me more than anything.

I think the worse thing was "just" getting poked in the eye by a twig - howling with pain tear ducts on over drive terrified I was going to go blind. Did end up with a shocking black eye!
    On a planet that increasingly resembles one huge Maximum Security prison, the only intelligent choice is to plan a jail break.

Robert Anton Wilson

I just remembered the time I hit myself In the face with the back of my hatchet. I was chopping small branches off a dead pine and hit one too far from the base. It sprung back, firng the axe straight at my cheekbone. left me pretty stunned and with a swolen face but no real damage done. It did make up my mind to get a folding saw.

Quote Originally Posted by Pootle View Post
    That sucks, chubbs. you know they're gonna cut themselves sooner or later but that sounds like a hard lesson for a nine year old!
    Yeah mate, a day that hopefully won't be repeated again. It was the only day ever that I forgot to take my medi pack. Luckily BigT had his as he is a tree surgeon and she was very quickly wrapped up. We were over at Woodland Valley at the time, and once we got onto the main road I got her to wiggle her fingertips, which was a great relief to me.

She is fine now and even at the time the doctor said he would do the best job he could with the stitches. Now they are healed, they are barely noticeable thanks to the doc.

This is mine. Superficial thankfully but alcohol related nonetheless. I managed to screw the cap onto a half bottle of brandy and catch the skin with the bottom of the bottle cap (which ends up serrated once the seal has been broken). I wouldn't mind, but the brandy was for Mrs Ehecatl not me!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Hand.jpg 
Views:	183 
Size:	88.7 KB 
ID:	13278
    Last edited by Ehecatl; 30-05-2015 at 01:42 PM. Reason: No photo
    "If you were to ask me what I consider to be my finest achievement, I could answer the question without hesitation: teaching." ~ Raymond Blanc.