Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bushcraft Soap

One with Nature
    "Always remember, no matter where you go there you are."

Bushcraft Soap

hello,
    I'm in the process of cutting & shaping my Bushcraft home made soap, pine needle & nettle, & tea tree for shaving purposes. Gives a great lather & as for the natural fragrance good stuff. I've tried some samples previously, as has a friend of mine, firstly incase of any allergic reaction, nothing as yet from either of us. Now to place some in the shaving mug & work up a lather. *Image of a cross section wedge of pine needle & nettle soap cut from a tray after setting. *edited.. just a thought might use one of my spare Kuksa's as a natural wood shaving mug with handle.
    Regard
    David

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	_MG_0002.jpg 
Views:	292 
Size:	99.5 KB 
ID:	13268
    Last edited by David_JAFO; 24-05-2015 at 04:14 PM.

Well done, David . Haven't made my own soaps yet, so for the moment I'm using soap bar shavings from the River Soap Company (I think they're made in France). Can't stand the commercial garbage, they all dry out the skin and cause itching problems.
    My blog, New England Bushcraft

"Give me six hours to chop down a tree, and I will spend the first four sharpening the axe."
    ~ Abraham Lincoln

"Be prepared, not scared."
    ~ Cody Lundin

One with Nature
    hello,
    OakAshandThorn It was a joint venture no problems of irritation or other so far so good.. I've made soap previously & trying out something Bushcraft on a regular basis if I can which I decided on soap this week. I'm deffo going to mould a lump of this into a mini kuksa for use with shaving travel/outdoors.
    Regards
    David

Quote Originally Posted by David_JAFO View Post
    I'm deffo going to mould a lump of this into a mini kuksa for use with shaving travel/outdoors.
    Regards
    David
    Sounds like a great idea
    My blog, New England Bushcraft

"Give me six hours to chop down a tree, and I will spend the first four sharpening the axe."
    ~ Abraham Lincoln

"Be prepared, not scared."
    ~ Cody Lundin

Samuel Hearne
    I would imagine its hard work making soap for washing also shaving, I carry a bar of non scented soap in a small mesh bag for washing with and a stick of shaving soap with a small shaving brush, it would be good to see how you make the soap.

Hobo
    Bushcrafters shaving?! What?!!
    (would like to try make some soap myself, but time is not on my side at the moment)

Good work with the soap David

I wouldn't know where to start making my own, I buy pine tar soap from someone on BCUK.

It's not for travelling abroad though, could take a bit of explaining to customs LOL

Name:	lll.jpg 
Views:	200 
Size:	93.5 KB 
ID:	13269

lmao suggy !

Quote Originally Posted by David_JAFO View Post
    shaping my Bushcraft home made soap, pine needle & nettle, & tea tree

Name:	_MG_0002.jpg 
Views:	292 
Size:	99.5 KB 
ID:	13268
    Could you explain the process to obtain such soap please ?
    When i'll have a little bit more time I would like to try too.

For the moment I'm using Alep Soap, which is a natural soap from olive oil ans lye.
    Absolutely perfect for any washing : hair, body, dishes, clothes, and even teeth ! Biodegradable, I have no fear to use it in a natural environment.
    English isn't my mother tongue so pliz correct me if i'm wrong, thx !

One with Nature
    hello,
    Geezie Wheezy.. I'd imagine that looks like something Customs & Excise would be interested in giving a whole new meaning to Soap Bar.. er.. em.. so I'm told ROFLMAO
    Regards
    David
    Ps. BTW ian c it does give off a great lather for washing & shaving.

Quote Originally Posted by suggy View Post
    Good work with the soap David I wouldn't know where to start making my own, I buy pine tar soap from someone on BCUK.
    It's not for travelling abroad though, could take a bit of explaining to customs LOL
    Last edited by David_JAFO; 25-05-2015 at 05:16 PM.

One with Nature
    hello,
    froth, foam, lather & suds I knew that would get your attention a friend of mine with sensitive skin has tried such over night/today & said there's no side effects irritation or other. I've had a shave & it does work, so I'm thinking choosing my small bird kuksa, this should suffice as a shaving soap bowl. The soaps fragrance is pleasant enough, kind of pine needle fresh with a slight hint of nettle & close to lemon citrus *there's no lemon content, just a fresh clean smell & feel from using such. *BTW there's no visual effect background just sat the lathered soap on my glass work surface cutting board in the kitchen.
    Regards
    David

Name:	_MG_0001b.jpg 
Views:	239 
Size:	95.3 KB 
ID:	13277
    Last edited by David_JAFO; 25-05-2015 at 07:47 PM.