Thread: Wild camping Campsite in France

Alone in the Wilderness

Wild camping Campsite in France

Hi

First post on the forum.

I've been trawling through the internet to find out some info about wild camping 'campsites' [if they even exist?]

I used to get out a fair bit when I still lived in the UK and did some great wild camps in the Welsh Borders [Black mountains area].

My wife and I run a small organic farm in south-west France, near the foothills of the Pyrenees Mountains.We have 31 hectares [around 76 acres] of really unspoilt rolling land covered with dense oak forest and wildflower meadows.We get loads of roe deer, wild boar, foxes, badgers, pine martin and even mouflon [wild mountain sheep] from time to time.

So my main reason for this post is to ask if anyone knows of any campsites / landowners etc offer opportunities for wild campers to pitch a bivi-bag / tarp on their land in exchange for a small fee?

I know it seems to contradict the whole idea of Wild Camping, yet our whole life is dedicated to nature and we'd like to open up the land we managed to get for people who have a similar love and natural respect for nature.

We're also trying to make a basic living and thus are exploring the idea of charging a small fee for wild campers to come and stay on our patch, where we have an outdoor shower and compost toilet.
    Any feedback would be gratefully received.
    Thanks
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	L5.jpg 
Views:	257 
Size:	77.3 KB 
ID:	13267  

In France, I think the best person to ask is jacob karhu on this forum. I'm from the US, so a lot of things are different, but I do know of many spots in my region that offer wild and stealth/primitive dispersed camping options. National Forests (managed by the USFS) are also open to it . Getting a hold of others' property around here can be a bit tricky, it helps to either know the family (connection at work, relative, neighbour, etc.).

I think that's a splendid idea, I've got a friend up in New Hampshire who runs an organic raw milk dairy farm, and the property is quite large (if I remember right, around 80 acres). I've camped out at the edge of it by the Connecticut River for 5 wonderful days. He's been considering doing the same, though at the moment the only hygiene facility is an outhouse.
    My blog, New England Bushcraft

"Give me six hours to chop down a tree, and I will spend the first four sharpening the axe."
    ~ Abraham Lincoln

"Be prepared, not scared."
    ~ Cody Lundin

Alone in the Wilderness
    Thanks OakAshand Thorn for the response

If you're ever passing this way, you're welcome to come and spend a night or two under the stars.

We'll give it a go and see what happens.

I reckon it will appeal to a few folk and it really is so very beautiful, unspoilt and bursting with Bushcraft opportunities around here.

I'll check out your blog later on.

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Mountjoy View Post
    Hi

I've been trawling through the internet to find out some info about wild camping 'campsites' [if they even exist?]
    They exist, I don't know much about them. Along the "West Highland Way" in Scotland there are a number of designated wild campsites. It's not essential that walkers stick to them. But for the lesser experienced walkers at least they know, through pre-research, where they should be good (their not necessarily the best spots) to break up their hike. If you google you'll find them.

Thanks OakAshand Thorn for the response

If you're ever passing this way, you're welcome to come and spend a night or two under the stars.

We'll give it a go and see what happens.

I reckon it will appeal to a few folk and it really is so very beautiful, unspoilt and bursting with Bushcraft opportunities around here.

I'll check out your blog later on.

Cheers
    I hope it will happen, my family heritage is from Europe and I'd love to get back my roots.
    My blog, New England Bushcraft

"Give me six hours to chop down a tree, and I will spend the first four sharpening the axe."
    ~ Abraham Lincoln

"Be prepared, not scared."
    ~ Cody Lundin

Samuel Hearne
    Hi and welcome Dave, that sounds good and I would be interested does the land have a water source?

Quote Originally Posted by ian c View Post
    Hi and welcome Dave, that sounds good and I would be interested does the land have a water source?
    I haven't visited any other than one. As for a water source, no. But it is waterlogged much of the time. I get the impression that they are not managed, just designated and hoped that they might be adhered to.

Edit: Oh, the other Dave. Pass this post bye.

Welcome to the forum Dave and good luck with your new venture.

Keep us posted how it goes

So my main reason for this post is to ask if anyone knows of any campsites / landowners etc offer opportunities for wild campers to pitch a bivi-bag / tarp on their land in exchange for a small fee?

Hi, in fact, i'm from France, and as far as i'm concern, i not even heard about such proposition for bushcrafters.
    Frequently, people go to camp-site. Well, I mean families who sleep in a big tent with their children and all their modern comfort.

The others like me who prefer to spend a night in the forest, far away from civilisation, try to find a little place among trees, make a discreet camp, and go back at the sunset.
    But I think that your proposition could be a great idea. Because knowing new people is important, to share our experience, give advices on the region, etc.
    Moreover if you have a shower, that's a BIG advantage lol

So it could be seen as a "lodge ?" (gîte d'étape) Where you can take a little break from your trip and maybe make some provisions.

Personally, I think that if it's cheap, I would love sleeping on your land and meet you
    Besides, I would not have the fear of camping illegally in the forest ...
    English isn't my mother tongue so pliz correct me if i'm wrong, thx !