Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I made a knife

You... you... you destroyed a skew chisel!?

It's a nice knife, but... skew chisels are wonderful tools. Sniff (holding back the tears). Maybe next time you'll convert an old file or leaf spring. I'll gladly swap you.

All that aside, it's a nice knife and I bet it feels good to have one you made yourself. I hold mine with a sense of achievement and pride and I bet you will too.

Quote Originally Posted by bikebum1975 View Post
    Good looking blade. Whatcha got in mind for a sheath?
    Not too sure about the sheath, my lad has made a basic kydex sheath for his but I don't think that would go too well with the antler. I quite fancy leather but that's another new thing to learn, more tools etc so still thinking about it.
    Cheers, Neil
    Speak softly and carry a big stick

Quote Originally Posted by Bernie View Post
    You... you... you destroyed a skew chisel!?

It's a nice knife, but... skew chisels are wonderful tools. Sniff (holding back the tears). Maybe next time you'll convert an old file or leaf spring. I'll gladly swap you.

All that aside, it's a nice knife and I bet it feels good to have one you made yourself. I hold mine with a sense of achievement and pride and I bet you will too.
    It was a double skew ie it came to a point in the centre of the blade, was 6mm thick, had never been fitted with a handle or sharpened. I'm not too precious about old stuff, if I can make something else out of it, it gets converted. Especially woodworking tools, I have bits and pieces that have been stashed away for years. I recently gave away all my original handsaws, panel saws etc. Garlic, disston and some others, never gonna get used by me again. I use sandvik 244 saws now, when it's blunt, bin it. They cut better and hold an edge better than the old ones. May be a different story if joinery was my hobby but it's my living.
    Regards, Neil.
    Speak softly and carry a big stick

You should check the value of the old saws especially the brands you mentioned. I've heard you can get a nice dollar for them even if you think might be junk or conversion stuff. Is cool though seeing an old tool given new life
    “I'm not one of those complicated, mixed-up cats. I'm not looking for the secret to life.... I just go on from day to day, taking what comes.” ~Frank Sinatra~

" Nessmuk " says:
    " We do not go to the woods to rough it ; we go to
    smooth it — we get it rough enough in town. But
    let us live the simple, natural life in the woods, and

well done pal

done a good job on that by the looks of it

Samuel Hearne
    That is a nice looking tool that you have made and I also think that a leather sheath would look good with it, well done!

Alone in the Wilderness
    Quote Originally Posted by bashabloke View Post
    I can see this knife thing being a bit addictive.
    haha .. trust me , it is ....... i decided to make myself a knife from an old metal file i had in the shed ....a few years ago
    it turned out ok ( nothing spectacular ) but i enjoyed making it so much that i made another .... then another , probably made 14 or so over the years ... and still making them ( when i can get some more old files from the bootsales .....
    cracking knife , theres nothing like having a blade youve actually made yourself ... total one of a kind ....
    good work mate like the knife