Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bark Removal Tips?

Bark Removal Tips?

Has anyone any tips on making removing bark, easier, quicker or both?

Edit: Just to add, I mean without cutting into the actual wood.
    Last edited by Magicdave; 09-05-2015 at 12:48 AM. Reason: Added info

I have heard shooting them through the head or having vocal chords removed by an unscrupulous vet works................... you mean TREES??????" my bad..ooops

Tribesman
    Nobody wins, unless everybody wins

Trapper
    Beautiful North Yorkshire Coast - love it
    Quote Originally Posted by Durham Bushcrafter View Post
    I have heard shooting them through the head or having vocal chords removed by an unscrupulous vet works................... you mean TREES??????" my bad..ooops
    Lol
    On a planet that increasingly resembles one huge Maximum Security prison, the only intelligent choice is to plan a jail break.

Robert Anton Wilson

Excellent, thanks. I never knew about these.

Boom, boom.

Q. How do you make a cat sound like a dog?
    A. Douse it petrol and throw on a match... Wooofffff.

Q. How do you make a dog sound like cat?
    A. Run it through a bandsaw... Meaaaaooowwwwww.

Im glad people here have a better sense of humour than the ''''OTHER WEBSITE'''' that is popular.............

depending on the size and nature of the wood I use a blunt (run your finger along the edge safely blunt!) drawknife or a bark spud for larger areas. The spud looks like a really large blunt chisel on a long handle and is much more efficient. Both of those work best on green wood with nice easily lifted bark, if it is dried in place then a sharp square corner on a bar of steel to scrape it off but it much harder work!
    Dave Budd Handmade Tools knives, tools, wood, leather and courses making stuff! 2015 Course List NOW ONLINE!

At the risk of sounding completely obvious...it's always easiest to remove bark the more recently the wood was cut.

This past summer I had a couple of small Norway Maple saplings coming up in the garden, each about 1" or so in diameter, so I cut them down and made walking staves for my 6 year olds. I sat in a chair in the driveway and peeled the bark off in less than 15 minutes using only my fingernails and my Mora #1 to peel up the bark in the sticky bits.

I've also seen people use a wooden barking spud on larger stuff, similar to this one.

Good luck!

Josh
    "Everywhere is within walking distance if you have the time..." ~Steven Wright~

I've not worked with many types of green wood yet, and only 1 that was cut from a healthy living tree. I had started to get the impression that different trees were different.

Taking the bark from a branch cut from a dead ash tree I can't really comment on, I hadn't tried taking it off clean yet. I was cutting it off in strips and going into the sap wood.

Removing the bark from an apple branch,cut from an alive tree, was my first attempt at taking it off clean. I thought it not to be be as easy as it should be.

I've tried with other (unknown to me as yet tees) with varying successes, 1 that I know to Silver Birch is really not easy. The tree was uprooted in a storm, there was one in the area last year that may have been strong enough. But I think it more likely to have been 2 or 3 years ago. The tree still has growth, and is budding on the smaller branches.
    Last edited by Magicdave; 12-05-2015 at 06:11 PM. Reason: added word

different barks come off more or less easily than each other, but the season you peel makes a huge difference as well as how long it has been off the tree for. For example, Ash peeled from a log in the early summer will come off as a sheet, but try it in the winter and the best you'll get is short ragged strips.
    Dave Budd Handmade Tools knives, tools, wood, leather and courses making stuff! 2015 Course List NOW ONLINE!