Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Project Tobacco Tin

One with Nature
    "Always remember, no matter where you go there you are."

Project Tobacco Tin

hello,
    I'm looking for some inspiration from you budding artists. A 2oz tobacco tin (see image) I'd like to add some character to the lid. A friend of mine was adding heat transfers & lettering to a metal travel mug for TGO Bushcraft use & I was thinking of adding along similar lines a design or words (undecided) to the tobacco tin lid for use as a tinder box. If the transfers take to the lid, it can be instructions, just words reference to tinder, or a design *nothing too intricate, but the details must fit within the tin lid, no over lapping, no background colours, just 1 colour black or whatever selected to work in with the tobacco tin's colour. Hopefully something for the coming months for use in TGO or might make more than 1 as a Bushcraft give away with contents.. undecided.
    Regards
    David

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2oz Tobacco Tin.jpg 
Views:	313 
Size:	53.6 KB 
ID:	13252

I haven't seen any in a long time, but people used to cover/glue them with matchsticks so as the lid still opperates. I remember seeing some crackers.

You cut off the heads and can cut them to desired lengths. You can make patterns, herringbone etc, by cutting the ends at angles. I've seen some with pictures, circles, logo's etc in the centre, borders I remember seeing too. You can also die/stain some of the sticks to create a few different colours for the patterns.

I forgot to add the important bit. if you done that on the indent of the lid, then sanded it flush with the border it could look great.

One with Nature
    hello,
    Aye I've seen these sometime ago. Keep the ideas coming I still require some inspiration..
    Regards
    David

Those tins are pretty soft. I'm wondering if you could engrave it with a pin/needle stuck into a stick as a handle.

Maybe use transfers as a template. When i eventually get round to trying a bit of relief carving I'm thinking of printing my computer designs onto label printer paper, not sure how that would work with engraving. But if you can cut a template out of thin/stiff card it could look great by just scratching with he needle in the exposed parts.

Quote Originally Posted by Magicdave View Post
    I haven't seen any in a long time, but people used to cover/glue them with matchsticks so as the lid still opperates. I remember seeing some crackers.

You cut off the heads and can cut them to desired lengths. You can make patterns, herringbone etc, by cutting the ends at angles. I've seen some with pictures, circles, logo's etc in the centre, borders I remember seeing too. You can also die/stain some of the sticks to create a few different colours for the patterns.
    That method of decoration is called "Tunbridge Wells ware" try putting that description into Ebay for some examples

Quote Originally Posted by Greenbear View Post
    That method of decoration is called "Tunbridge Wells ware" try putting that description into Ebay for some examples
    Excellent, thanks. I never realised it had a name. I think the closest I ever came to hearing it called something was "Rosetting" on acoustic guitars.

Could this video tempt you David? Even if not it's a great watch to see the guys procedure/technique.

How about something on the lines of covering sunken part of liid in leaves,(or something else)then encapsalating in cold pouring resin.Just n idea??????
    Best of luck,If you go down the engraving way.I've seen some interesting raised patterns tapped and streatched into the back of the lid into a sand pad.etc.
    You are never too old to learn!. A SURVIVER!

"Peasants Rule,and your Knife is your Tool."
    "A Knifeless man is a Lifeless man".Nordic Proverb.

Support The GURKA WELFARE TRUST.1815 to 2015 200 years of Service to the Crown

One with Nature
    hello,
    Thanks for the inputs fellas. Greenbear Aye the "Tunbridge Wells ware" I have a wooden box made like so & a friend has similar. I was just looking at such other day, lovely piece of work BTW. I like the idea midas. I was thinking about the use of adding heat transfers & lettering as in the metal travel mug for TGO Bushcraft by my friend as said who added their own logo Bushcraft effect & I though along similar lines to adding similar details to a tobacco tin. I've got etching kits for brass & other tools I could use if I were to go down the scribing route, as the tin is scored should produce the undercoat of silvering effect, or another suggestion embossed stamped.. lots of ideas coming in, I like it.
    Regards
    David

Quote Originally Posted by midas View Post
    How about something on the lines of covering sunken part of liid in leaves,(or something else)then encapsalating in cold pouring resin.Just n idea??????
    Best of luck,If you go down the engraving way.I've seen some interesting raised patterns tapped and streatched into the back of the lid into a sand pad.etc.
    Excellent idea, I love it. I'd like to incorporate it into a wood carving, matching wood and leaves sort of thing.

I was just looking at some sort of resin the other week in an art shop. It got me interested but was a man made chemical thing. Do you, anyone, think this could work well with a natural resin, if so any links that I could research on working with natural resins?