Thread: Southern Pine Bark Beetles...

Southern Pine Bark Beetles...

Well, this was inevitable, unfortunately. A new threat has been discovered in my state - these beetles attack pines through their bark. If the attack is strong enough, the tree will not be able to repel the invaders with its sap, and will succumb, being slowly eaten out from the inside. Native species at risk in the Northeast/New England area include: Pitch Pine (Pinus rigida) and Red Pine (Pinus resinosa). Also at risk are Austrian Pine (Pinus nigra) and Scots Pine (Pinus sylvestris), naturalised species. The dominant Eastern White Pine (Pinus strobus) will not be affected. Still, these beetles have the potential to devastate our woodlands. Infestations have been found in northwestern CT, central CT, and southwestern CT along the coast.

http://wtnh.com/2015/05/03/destructi...4-state-sites/

The state's Department of Energy and Environmental Protection has issued the following statement:

http://www.ct.gov/deep/cwp/view.asp?A=2697&Q=563452

Red Pine is fairly common here...

This is a stand of Red Pine (background), home to a family of Red Tail hawks...I would hate to see it go .
    Last edited by OakAshandThorn; 04-05-2015 at 07:57 PM. Reason: slinky linkies...
    My blog, New England Bushcraft

"Give me six hours to chop down a tree, and I will spend the first four sharpening the axe."
    ~ Abraham Lincoln

"Be prepared, not scared."
    ~ Cody Lundin

Doesn't sound good at all mate! There's some really nasty little blighters out there isn't there!
    If there are no women around and a man says something, is he still wrong?

Aye, and New Jersey's Loblolly Pines have been decimated...
    My blog, New England Bushcraft

"Give me six hours to chop down a tree, and I will spend the first four sharpening the axe."
    ~ Abraham Lincoln

"Be prepared, not scared."
    ~ Cody Lundin