Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Swedish mess kit

Swedish mess kit

Landed a new mess kit don't have it just yet these are the pics he sent me. It's a Swedish set and not a trangia but a svea alcohol stove. Hoping to have it sometime by next weekend.

Anyone know how old it might be? Soon as I get it I'll post better pics. He said the tins are brand new he used the stove once

“I'm not one of those complicated, mixed-up cats. I'm not looking for the secret to life.... I just go on from day to day, taking what comes.” ~Frank Sinatra~

" Nessmuk " says:
    " We do not go to the woods to rough it ; we go to
    smooth it — we get it rough enough in town. But
    let us live the simple, natural life in the woods, and

Ive got the same only in SS and yours is ally and my burner is stamped with swedish coat of arms. They are starting to get hard to get hold of and a lot pricier than when I got mine,think I paid £9 if memory serves. good kiit you wont regret buying it.
    Last edited by Rasputin; 04-05-2015 at 09:40 AM.
    Ne te confundant illigitimi It is always a pleasure to see what you can make !, instead of buying it ready made. R Proenneke.

Yep I wished it was an SS those are pretty rare today. I'm pretty stoked to get one in this condition.
    “I'm not one of those complicated, mixed-up cats. I'm not looking for the secret to life.... I just go on from day to day, taking what comes.” ~Frank Sinatra~

" Nessmuk " says:

Quote Originally Posted by bikebum1975 View Post
    Yep I wished it was an SS those are pretty rare today. I'm pretty stoked to get one in this condition.
    Yeh it is in great condition !
    Ne te confundant illigitimi It is always a pleasure to see what you can make !, instead of buying it ready made. R Proenneke.

I heard that the design originally came from the German army during WWII...it was liked so much that the Hungarian, East German (post WWII), Austrian, Swedish, and Finnish militaries adopted it. Most of them are aluminum.
    My blog, New England Bushcraft

"Give me six hours to chop down a tree, and I will spend the first four sharpening the axe."
    ~ Abraham Lincoln

"Be prepared, not scared."
    ~ Cody Lundin

Samuel Hearne
    They are good I have the ss version have only used it a few times though, I used it over a open fire and the paint started to burn off so I got some paint stripper to it.

Great bits of kit I got one about 10 years ago and its taken some abuse on the fire and is still in great condition. Don't use it as much these days due to the weight but it's one of those bit of kit that will last a lifetime.

Should have it by the weekend he shipped it an a new sharp toy off that'll be another post

" Nessmuk " says:

Norwegian army uses the same design, but without the stove, i.e the Norwegian kit consist of the main pot, and inner pot and the lid.

I own one but after one use I remembered what it was like and chucked it into a corner of the shed...
    Simply o hard to keep clean and sanitary. I remmeber in the army it was quite a job to clean after lets say 3 weeks on a field excercise.
    Something we hated, just for the reason that it was a job on top of everything else we had to do maintenance on, clean and fix...before we got our coveted weekend pass....hopefully not revoked because
    the big brass got edgy over something the russians over the border was doing...or just because they could...lol
    Victory awaits the one, that has everything in order - luck we call it
    Defeat is an absolute consequense for the one that have neglected to do the necessary preparations - bad luck we call it
    (Roald Amundsen)

Bumbling Bushcraft on Youtube
    Nordisk Bushcraft - The Nordic bushcraft blog and forum

One with Nature
    "Always remember, no matter where you go there you are."
    hello,
    Rune seems to be a field punishment in most NATO Forces cleaning the Dixie's i.e. mess tins or the larger field 3 Gallon aluminium pots for cooking large quantities of rations e.g. stews, soups etc.. & I even recall a friend of mine saying they had to polish a aluminium dustbin until it was shining for making the troops tea in
    Regards
    David

Quote Originally Posted by FishyFolk View Post
    Norwegian army uses the same design, but without the stove, i.e. the Norwegian kit consist of the main pot, and inner pot and the lid.
    I own one but after one use I remembered what it was like and chucked it into a corner of the shed...
    Simply o hard to keep clean and sanitary. I remember in the army it was quite a job to clean after lets say 3 weeks on a field exercise.
    Something we hated, just for the reason that it was a job on top of everything else we had to do maintenance on, clean and fix...before we got our coveted weekend pass....hopefully not revoked because the big brass got edgy over something the Russians over the border was doing...or just because they could...lol