Thread: Great day yesterday

Great day yesterday

Well yesterday could never have been better. It started of with a visit to a local game and country fair, my son and myself set off early to arrive just after the doors opened. Plenty to see and do and boy, did my son make the most of it with several new experiences under his belt.

First of all his first firing of a .22 rimfire rifle which might I say he handled very well, 10 shots with 2 bulls, after this he learnt to make fire by 3 different methods (ferro rod, traditional flint and steel, and the fire bow) the last was with help from the instructor. He went on to archery with a recurve bow and crossbows both of which he picked up very quickly hitting the target every time. Went to a knife maker (English handmade knifes) where he picked out a blade and handles that he wants to make that will be another day to do.

The thing he liked the most was using a pole lathe that was set up giving demo's, the guys running it were great they spent 11/2 hrs with him on the pole lathe which at the end of the lesson he walked away with a candle stick.

In the evening I won on E-bay a part finished tri-laminate English longbow stave. Woods used in its construction are maple belly, massaranduba core and backed with ash. Its is floor tillered with pre shaped horn nocks and fitted with a Flemish string. Hopefully will be able to it about 40-45 lbs draw weight from it when its finished.

So all in all a very enjoyable day with one happy boy and one proud dad. I should point out my son is 9.

It just goes to show that the best thing in life are free, the thing he liked the most the pole lathe that was totally free.

One with Nature
    "Always remember, no matter where you go there you are."
    hello,
    Sound like you both had a great outing & a very enjoyable day indeed, thanks for sharing.
    Regards
    David

Samuel Hearne
    It sounds like you had as much fun as he did which is good.

Natural Born Bushcrafter saxonaxe's Avatar
    That candlestick will hold some good memories for him. I'm also intrigued by the Pole Lathes, such a simple effective system. I understand why it captured your lad..