Thread: Question about food preservation...

Trapper

Question about food preservation...

How can I take out food like sausages/burgers for a 1-2 night trip? Any safe way of preserving them?

Freeze them mate.

Take them out just before you go and wrap them in newspaper.

TBH, they will be fine without freezing them in the temperatures we have at the moment if you can't be bothered. Keep them away from direct sunlight and somewhere cool. The best thing is your nose. If they smell ok, they will taste fine.

Trapper
    ^ Really that simple? I thought meat would start to degrade after a few hours. Would tin foil work as well as newspaper?

wrap it in tinfoil 1st but the paper is insuation to keep it cool
    Ne te confundant illigitimi It is always a pleasure to see what you can make !, instead of buying it ready made. R Proenneke.

The meat will be fine. Remember that decent steak is aged for a month before it is sold. I did also see that certain restaurants over the pond leave their meat for up to six months before eating and its supposed to taste of blue cheese !!.

I regulary trawl the supermarkets for meat that is past its date. Nothing wrong with it and usually any smells are just the dried blood. A quick wash and a sniff to make sure its edible is all that is needed.

Trapper
    Nice I'll give it a try

Sausages and mince are more of a problem than solid chunks of meat because the bacteria from the outside of the meat and from the mincer etc get mixed into the middle of the minced meat. That's why it's essential to ensure that sausages etc are cooked through thoroughly. Having said that, provided they don't get to warm sausages will last for a day without major risk. Get them as fresh as possible, freeze immediately, then take them straight from the freezer and transport them like that. So long as you don't put them in a hot place they will stay pretty cool. Make sure they are thawed all the way through before cooking.

Natural Born Bushcrafter saxonaxe's Avatar
    Buy yourself a wide mouth Thermos and drop the frozen sausages in that. You may have to cut burgers in half before freezing, but they'll probably fit too. Should be good for easily 24 hours plus. Just make sure you thaw it all fully before cooking..

In OZ we used to have all the meats vacuam packed.and kept it in an "eskibox."(we were mobile)
    Lasted for a month.
    You are never too old to learn!. A SURVIVER!

"Peasants Rule,and your Knife is your Tool."
    "A Knifeless man is a Lifeless man".Nordic Proverb.

Support The GURKA WELFARE TRUST.1815 to 2015 200 years of Service to the Crown