Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ticks on dartmoor

Ticks on dartmoor

I am planning a wild camp on Dartmoor
    Just wondering what the more experienced Dartmoor members opinions are on this subject. Are there many in the grasses on Dartmoor?

Last year while in Cornwall I found that I had 9 on me after a short walk and an evening spent after Sea-trout.
    It seems some parts of the UK have more than others.
    I have heard that Bristol Uni are doing some research on them and are after samples from the public.
    After finding out what Lyme disease can do it makes me a bit more cautious.

Trapper
    Beautiful North Yorkshire Coast - love it
    Hate those things - never been bitten but have had all sorts of problems with ticks and dogs. I always burnt them off but apparently that's BAD! Satisfying though... Lyme disease just makes them even more insidious!

Not related to Dartmoor (never been) but this link is either informative or scary depending on how you look at it! http://www.bada-uk.org/faq

Dartmoor doesn't seem to feature high on hot spots but a few google searches makes me think there's loads there. I may never leave my house again if I continue reading! Going to buy a thick rubber suit and wear it at all times!
    On a planet that increasingly resembles one huge Maximum Security prison, the only intelligent choice is to plan a jail break.

Robert Anton Wilson

I had more than my fair share of tick encounters living in North Carolina and I learned a few things about the blood sucking little blighters. Deer ticks were the big problem in my area that's why we avoided the long grasses and stayed on the path. Even though the buggers still got me.

Some species secrete a super glue like substance to glue their mouth parts into their host and cannot release themselves quickly even if they wanted to. They have to wait for their release agent to work.

Others have barbs on their mouth parts to anchor themselves in place.

Smothering a tick with Vaseline, nail polish, etc won't kill them as they can live for hours without oxygen. It will just annoy them...most likely cause them to vomit.

Never try to burn one off as the shock will cause the tick to vomit it's stomach contents back into your blood stream...Not nice.

Never squash one when it's attached see shock above.

Don't try to rub it off as the chances are you'll make it vomit.

If you do have to remove one (or God forbid more) SAVE IT the Doctor will need to know what species they're dealing with.

Some people use a pair of Uncle Bills Silver Grippers to remove them, but you have to be skilled in their use. Do it wrong and you risk A, the tick vomits into you or B, you could tear the body away leaving the mouth parts in place.

When you remove the tick be sure to disinfect the area thoroughly I carried alcohol wipes in my tick kit.

I used a Tick Key to remove any freeloaders

Name:  41b1txmnfpl._sl500_aa300_.jpg
Views: 855
Size:  13.2 KBName:  How_To_Use_Tick_Key-288x290.jpg
Views: 860
Size:  24.1 KB
    (No connection with the company other than a satisfied customer)

I've found the O'tom tick twister very good - http://www.otom.com/how-to-remove-a-tick
    Only my dog can judge me

http://www.devilark.com.au/

Quote Originally Posted by happybonzo View Post
    I've found the O'tom tick twister very good - http://www.otom.com/how-to-remove-a-tick
    Oh yeah they're good. Our neighbour used them on her dogs especially round/in her dogs ears. Poor Frisco (Cocker Spaniel) was always plagued by ticks she was a tick magnet but then that daft dog loves to run and play in the long grass.

Best "Tick story" I've heard was fro"m my pal who owns a small campsite in the Loire
    One day a girl came up to the Office and said "My boyfriend has got a Tick. Do you know how to get them off?
    My friend said "No problem we've got an O'Tom. You can borrow that. I'll bring it over to your pitch"
    He went over and there was the poor bloke in his tent with his unterkraken around his ankles, with all his dangly bits on display and looking very sorry for himself
    My mate, ever helpful, threw the O'Tom into him and beat a hasty retreat
    Only my dog can judge me

http://www.devilark.com.au/

Quote Originally Posted by happybonzo View Post
    Best "Tick story" I've heard was fro"m my pal who owns a small campsite in the Loire
    One day a girl came up to the Office and said "My boyfriend has got a Tick. Do you know how to get them off?
    My friend said "No problem we've got an O'Tom. You can borrow that. I'll bring it over to your pitch"
    He went over and there was the poor bloke in his tent with his unterkraken around his ankles, with all his dangly bits on display and looking very sorry for himself
    My mate, ever helpful, threw the O'Tom into him and beat a hasty retreat
    I'm with your mate. Helpful only goes so far.

Yes, there are ticks on Dartmoor. The fringes of the moor (woodland and agricultural land) seem to have most as this is where the sheep and deer are thickest. The open high moorland seems better (I don't know anybody who picked one up there) but don't bet on it. And, yes, some do carry Lyme disease, two friends have caught it in recent years, so take precautions and carry a tick removing tool.
    “If the apple won't fall - go shake the tree.”
    ― Isaac Newton

Thanks guys I thought so, I always carry a O'Tom with me now. Though some are real difficult to extract.

The first time I ever had some of these I went straight to the chemist, when I eventually got served and asked "have you got anything to get rid of ticks" everybody behind me took a long step back!!

Alone in the Wilderness
    how about some prevention instead? my dogs get garlic tablets with there food and ticks simply do not like it. thats remind me i should start eating em too..