Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Aldi

Cheap axes can serve a bushcrafter well. Most come witrh an edge that is not very sharp, but with a file a and a cheap water stone, it can become as sharp as you want it. The steel may not be the best so edge retention is another matter. But not many of us goes for month long expeditions in the Boreal forest, lets face it...most of us are out there for a few hours an afternoon, or spend a couple of nights tops...and those axes/ hatchets will be perfectly fine for chopping some wood for your camp fire for such a short ammount of time. It's not like your gonna process fire wood for a winters worth of fuel....
    Victory awaits the one, that has everything in order - luck we call it
    Defeat is an absolute consequense for the one that have neglected to do the necessary preparations - bad luck we call it
    (Roald Amundsen)

Bumbling Bushcraft on Youtube
    Nordisk Bushcraft - The Nordic bushcraft blog and forum

Big debates on steel, if you can sharpen it with a rock then it probably is more use than something that needs a diamond stone.

the good thing with aldi kit is they at least have quality control even if it is made in the old east germany over china.

the cheaper it is the more abuse you will likely subject it to, I have a cheap chopper (texas homecare - remember them) from decades ago that get used to chop roots in the stoney soil I have here, a touch up on the belt sander from blunt and its good to go again for kindling. I haven't tried it on the fiskars hatchet as i'm still wary of the plastic handle. one to survive one to bushcraft I guess the good thing is the stones are river pebbles/rock so quite good for sharpening.